Family Office/Asset Manager - VP & Group Corporate Controller
About the company
Our client, a privately owned enterprise, owns and operates a multi-billion dollar, diverse portfolio of assets located throughout North America. These assets include racing and gaming operations as well as large, complex real estate holdings in the pre-development through operating stages, as well as a vertically-integrated agricultural operations.
Scope of Position
To capitalize on its market opportunity, our client seeks to bring on a senior accounting executive in the role of VP & Group Corporate Controller.
The successful individual will contribute to the growth and profitability of the business while maintaining and adhering to a solid internal control environment understanding operational requirements through to the reporting function.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the VP & Group Corporate Controller will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day financial function and reporting on those matters in a timely and accurate fashion. In addition, the candidate will have responsibility for evaluating and impacting the effectiveness of all systems and controls on a wide range of processes supporting our client's tactical and strategic initiatives and planning. This individual will be accustomed to dealing with complex reporting issues and be a strong resource for various internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage the financial planning and budget processes and provide business and financial guidance and counsel for strategic and tactical activities as required
- Oversee accounting functions ensuring the accurate and timely dissemination of financial information including, but not limited to, monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements
- Monitor global treasury operations, including liquidity, foreign exchange needs and cash management systems for the overall Group
- Monitor credit and other significant agreements for visibility of, and compliance with, covenant and other contractual requirements, as applicable
- Interpret the business’ operating results and recommend improvements as appropriate
- Lead the development, implementation, maintenance, and enhancements of internal financial controls, policies, procedures, processes, and systems
- Lead all planning, negotiation of fees, preparation of audit files, timing and execution of field work for external audits
- Provide leadership, guidance and mentorship to a finance staff of six along with divisional finance personnel on a dotted line reporting
- Ensure that the financial practices and processes are efficient and responsive to the needs of the business and comply with its processes and systems
- Assist team members with using existing, and developing new, metrics to measure performance, and ensure systems and processes are in place to provide timely and accurate information to support them
- Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate department staff
- Work in cooperation with business managers to develop and maintain relevant KPIs and metrics and ensure that the processes that are in place provide timely and accurate information
- Assist with management and documentation of transfer pricing requirements for the global operations
- Collaborate with other departments, including Tax, Legal and Human Resources, on compliance, contract negotiation and reporting requirements as necessary
- Contribute to the development and implementation of operational and strategic business plans along with other ad hoc projects, as required.
- Review the ongoing financial system requirements for the organization ensuring upgrades are implemented as needed
The following competencies listed below define the role of VP & Group Corporate Controller:
Adopts an energetic approach. Works towards goals and willingly tackles demanding tasks. Demonstrates capacity for sustained effort and hard work over long periods of time, even in the face of adversity.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial, and brings clarity and insight into ambiguous situations.
Draws parallels across situations and contexts. Divides problems into their individual elements. Develops several explanations or alternatives. Separates the core of a problem from its symptoms and can identify cause and effect.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization's total expenses and revenues.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Bachelor Degree in Finance, Commerce or Administration with CPA, CA or equivalent designation;
- A minimum of 10-12 years of progressive, hands-on experience in financial management with increasing responsibilities for multi-faceted direction and planning, including in- depth analysis of corporate business data
- Experience with international accounting standards, (including US GAAP and ASPE), taxes, contracts, IT accounting systems
- Real estate development and management experience is highly desired
- Experience working in highly entrepreneurial, fast-paced and demanding environments
- An analytical, detail oriented, team player that adapts well to change
- Ability to work independently and multi-task under pressure
- Presents quick decision-making skills
Remuneration & Benefits
- A generous compensation package commensurate with experience will be discussed with serious and qualified candidates.
If interested, please contact: