VP Finance and Operations - Kingston, Ontario
About the Company
Headquartered in spectacular Kingston, Ontario, our client distributes a wide range of innovative and reliable products to contractors, government agencies, industrial firms, institutions and commercial businesses. The firm is committed to providing superior personal service at a local level. The firm’s multiple locations provide intimate local market knowledge with experienced, highly trained staff dedicated to exceeding customer expectations. The firm’s success is in no small part due to the quality and passion of that staff, its training, attitude and its highly engaged, supportive corporate culture.
Our client is consistently recognized as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies. It has also been awarded multiple business achievement and Business of the Year awards. The firm proudly supports numerous charitable events and organizations as part of its commitment to give back to the great communities in which they do business and live.
Our client is growing, profitable, debt-free and boasts a very stable, highly committed ownership.
Scope of Position
Currently, our client is undergoing a planned leadership transition with the retirement of a key executive. While the firm has well-established and functioning systems and processes that have helped it thrive to date, its growth plans will test its ability to adapt and scale. Ensuring that appropriate company systems, processes and operations are in place and aligned with those growth plans will be the responsibility of the VP Finance and Operations.
Reporting to the President, the VP Finance and Operations will be responsible for strategic and day to day financial matters and finance team leadership. The individual will also lead and support human resources, IT, supply chain and other operational areas critical to the company’s success. The VP Finance and Operations will work proactively and collaboratively to provide strong leadership while continually enhancing policies and practices to meet the organization’s overall requirements.
The VP Finance and Operations will have a strong financial background complemented with operations, HR, ERP, CRM, and perhaps even e-commerce experience.
This is an outstanding opportunity that features:
- Strong industry and company growth
- Committed ownership
- A proven organization and team
- Highly entrepreneurial culture
- An opportunity to make a real difference
- Spectacular city of Kingston location
- Plan and direct the operational priorities, goals, policies, practices and initiatives in accordance with the goals and strategic direction set by the President
- Recommend and participate in the development of policies that address corporate growth and strengthens organizational processes
- Lead and execute a strategy that drives excellence across the finance and operational organizations, leveraging best-of-class processes, technology and team members to meet and exceed customer expectations as measured by output and efficiency
- Participate as an open, engaged and committed member of the Management Team in the formulation and execution of the corporate vision, strategy and business objectives
- Understand and apply efficient and cost-effective operations knowledge and practices to sustain a profitable day to day business operations that enable service delivery which meets or exceeds customer expectation.
- Ensure operational milestones are met on time, with high quality and that they meet the objectives established
- Create and sustain a viable organizational structure to make optimum use of financial and operational resources, technology and systems
- Build and facilitate the development of strong relationships and synergies with all areas of the company and with the company’s suppliers and customers in order to achieve the corporate goals, objectives and revenue targets
- Foster a culture of highly productive team spirit and innovation into the short- and longer-term operations of the organization
- Inspire and lead a talented group of customer-centric focused team members, helping them manage their careers and grow as professionals
- Instill a culture of empowerment
- Monitor, measure and report on the financial and organizational results
- Help instill an intensely customer service mindset within the organization
- Spearhead the commercial agreements and sustainable relationships with potential business service providers. Manage purchasing and supply chain to strike the right balance for adequate though not excess inventory levels to meet customer requirements
- Work with VP Sales on demand planning/forecasting issues and models
- Recruit highly engaged, high achieving individuals to join the team as the company continues to grow
- Remain abreast of competitive offerings, pricing and distribution strategies. Make recommendations to ensure positioning of existing technologies is optimized.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Strategic metrics: Ensuring that product offerings and roadmap align with market requirements
- Financial metrics: Attainment of costs and profitability targets through a strong focus on management, costs, processes and revenue growth.
- Operational metrics: Ensure that best in class operational practices are in place
- Team Metrics: Building overall effectiveness of the team along with morale
The following competencies listed below define the role of VP Finance and Operations:
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Developing & Coaching Others
Accurately assesses strengths and development needs of employees. Challenges others to improve their abilities and actively supports their development. Continually provides timely and constructive feedback, coaching and challenging learning opportunities. Adjusts coaching style based on each employee's ability and motivation level.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization's total expenses and revenues.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- CPA designation (CPA, CA preferred)
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in relevant finance leadership or controller roles or VP Finance and progressively responsible experience
- Several years additional Operations Management experience
- Knowledge and experience with Six sigma (ISO 9000), Lean and other continuous improvement projects an asset
- Demonstrable evidence of a track record distinguished by exceeding expectations
- Proven entrepreneurial/smaller company experience, with appropriate financial and business acumen acquired from scaling an organization with similar characteristics to achieve the next level of growth where you have been instrumental in the progress with.
- Discipline and the knowledge to focus, prioritize and set in place procedures and processes;
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt to a very fluid, rapidly changing environment.
- High degree of honesty, humility, respect, integrity and loyalty;
- The ability to see beyond obstacles or setbacks and be energized by the challenges of achieving a goal;
- Strong team building skills with the ability to effectively communicate and motivate
- A professional and mature disposition with the confidence and stature to challenge issues and positions in a respectful, tactful and non-confrontational manner;
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive compensation package structured to the needs of the successful candidate.
If interested, please contact
|Bob Hebert StoneWood Group, Toronto Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 777 firstname.lastname@example.org|