Vice President, Sustainability
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Client
Client is a family owned and operated business that commenced operations in 1955 and has grown from a small local homebuilder into a fully integrated real estate development, construction and management company with operations in Ottawa, Toronto and South Florida. The company takes great pride in the quality of its residential and commercial projects and its support for the communities in which it operates.
The Company is currently divided along 5 operating divisions as follows:
• Commercial – consisting of more than 2 million square foot portfolio of office, retail and industrial properties in Ottawa and Toronto;
• Florida – residential development and home building, having built over 18,000 new homes since the 1970’s;
• Suburban – residential development and home building in Ottawa and Toronto of over 50,000 homes;
• Urban – residential rentals and condominium development including the management of more than 14,000 homes and apartments in Ottawa and Toronto;
• Hotel – the 417 unit Four Diamond Suite Hotel in downtown Ottawa, and 425+ furnished suites in Ottawa and Toronto.
More than 1,200 people are employed in the Canadian operations with another 100 located in Florida.
Client is an industry leader in sustainable development as a result of the joint efforts of the corporate Green Team and the Client’s operating divisions. Client has been awarded and recognized for its green and sustainability initiatives.
Scope of Position
Client invests in sustainability to add value to its business and the products and services we offer to our customers. Reporting to the EVP Group Services, the Vice President, Sustainability will be the primary visionary and driver for sustainability investments at Client.
This leader will be responsible for leading the Green team and working with operating division partners to take sustainability to the next level. The leader will grow Client’s industry leadership through a combination of innovation, adoption of new technologies and practices, and excellent execution of on-going programs in our development and income producing properties. The leader will deliver value through programs that reduce Client’s footprint; lower our waste and energy costs; and add value to our product and service offerings.
Success will be achieved through the promotion and leveraging of green initiatives from within Client’s culture (for example employee initiated programs to eliminate toxic cleaning products); active management, in partnership with the operating groups of energy consumption and waste production and diversion; and research and development of new technologies and programs.
The Vice President, Sustainability will also be a Client spokesperson and technical expert in greening new and existing homes, offices, and communities. He/she will promote Client’s reputation to external stakeholders as well as championing the cultural transformation of Client employees and customers towards restorative communities and collaborative participation.
Demonstrated ability to:
- Inspire a green culture within the Senior Management Team and through the Client Green Team to all employees and customers;
- Continue to maintain and build the Green Team organizational structure and talent pool capable of meeting Client’s leadership position in green culture, products and services;
- Lead Client’s Strategic Green Committee, made up of senior operating group leadership with a committee mandate to deliver ROI on green projects and initiatives using clear, measurable and stretched green goals;
- Continually improve programs and performance targets for the company while influencing each operating group without a direct reporting relationship;
- Deliver and sustain energy and waste cost savings;
- Develop green technology and processes that add value to Client’s business;
- Nurture and grow each Client Green Team member to deliver beyond their current roles;
- Maintain a strong collaboration with all operating groups to deliver green within the bounds of each group’s growth and performance;
- Build a robust network of senior contacts across corporate, industry, government and other key stakeholders to ensure that Client provides leadership in relevant areas, remains current with green market development, is aware of and open to progressive new technologies and processes and remain the leader in green real estate;
- Advise on green charitable activities for the Client Foundation.
• Relevant university degree;
• Progressive relevant experience-minimum 15 years in the industry & 10 years leading people;
• Knowledgeable in energy commodity industry (trends, influencers, trading, etc); sustainable and integrated; design principles; marketing and branding;
• Deep knowledge of: strategic planning; conceptual selling; change management; with a strong technical background in operating properties, community design and the built form;
• Proficient speaker and presenter with demonstrated media relations experience;
• Possesses drive and energy; strong leadership skills;
• Effectively adheres to Client’s core values and beliefs during both good and bad times;
• Can negotiate skillfully in tough situations with both internal and external groups;
• Can maneuver through complex political situations effectively and quietly.
Remuneration and Benefits
• Competitive base salary + variable component + benefits package commensurate with VP level position