Automotive - Vice President & General Manager - Toronto
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our Client is a leading public automotive company with global presence in the design, development and manufacturing of custom dies, moulds, assemblies and equipment for the Automotive, die-casting solutions and tooling markets.
Scope of Position
The VP-GMgr reports to the Divisional President, who will provide interim mentorship. The VP/GM acts as the strategic business partner to the company’s key executives and divisional leadership teams.
Broadly speaking the VP/GM reports to the corporate CEO but is a partner in the succession plan for the current Divisional President. As such, the role calls for an individual who can work closely with the current divisional president learning about the current business model and customers while connecting with the manufacturing culture. Initially, the role will involve shared control and management of the overall business unit. This would include divisional responsibility for allocations and functional department heads including; HR, QA, Engineering, Product Design, Pricing, Supply Chain, Sales, Customer Support, Manufacturing and Production. The VP/GM will also work with the CEO of the company to help foster a working environment which attracts, effectively deploys, motivates and retains top caliber managers and employees. The VP-GM will support the CEO and the corporation’s current business plans, strategies, operational goals and profit objectives. The VP-GMgr will also work to ensure customers receive high quality products and services in a timely manner and in accordance to the terms and conditions of their contractual agreements.
• Reviews, assesses, approves and implements the manufacturing and organizational plans which best support the corporations plan for growth and profitability.
• Work closely with current divisional President to understand business environment and corporate culture from shop floor, manufacturing operations and engineering, through to the OEM and Tier 1 customer base.
• Oversees divisional budgets and key metrics related to the company’s human capital needs.
• Work together with the President and act as Divisional spokesperson for media and community events.
• Develops operating plans and budgets including capital equipment purchases, facilities needs.
• Help build and facilitate the development of strong relationships and synergies within all areas of the company including, key customers, suppliers and technical partners, in order to better achieve the corporation’s business goals and profit objectives.
• Analyzes and helps solve business problems and inefficiencies which impact organizational capabilities. (Works to continuously improve productivity, cycle times, pricing, costs, scheduling, and profitability).
• Works jointly with the CEO and current divisional president to help determine the longer term business goals for the company
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
• Look for ways to continuously improve products, processes and services with out compromising quality or profitability.
• Observes and analyzes current management team and business direction
• Ensure profitability is maintained
The following competencies listed below define the role of Vice President & General Manager at our client company.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers'/clients' needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Adopts an energetic approach. Works towards goals and willingly tackles demanding tasks. Demonstrates capacity for sustained effort and hard work over long periods of time, even in the face of adversity.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Incorporates information about the organization's structure and protocol into decisions. Attentive to the internal politics and alert to shifting interpersonal dynamics. Establishes the necessary support networks and cross-functional relationships through rapport building. Recognizes, maintains and effectively balances the interests and needs of one's own group with those of the broader organization.
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
• Bachelors or Master degrees in Mechanical engineering, or tool and die management experience, advance accreditation in business management is a plus.
• Proven track record of prior success within a die-casting tooling, plastics or automotive stamping manufacturing environment. Ability to foster business growth through technical excellence and strong relationship building practices.
• Prior experience with high pressure ( aluminum) die casting , tooling design processes and related systems for automotive manufacturing OEM’s and Tier 1 suppliers is desired.
Remuneration & Benefits