Venture Capital - Partner - Montreal
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Since 2006, our client has focused on early-stage investing in Canada's most innovative technology companies. In that time they have backed some of Canada's most innovative and successful emerging technology companies. The firm is passionate about company building and is committed to helping entrepreneurs succeed. Each company is a unique opportunity and the firm takes the time to truly understand the business - the market, customers, business model, products and services. The firm has directly invested in over 250 companies and 50 GP Funds.
They provide the tools needed to grow their companies into global leaders. Bringing more than just capital to its portfolio of companies, the client also provides guidance, support and advice, essential to the early stages of growth. With a specific focus on early stage investments, they are committed to finding and growing the world's next rising innovators. Our client’s mission is to collaborate with Canada's deep pools of skilled entrepreneurial executives, as well as the country's leading academic institutions and research laboratories, to commercialize and develop new technologies and companies that challenge the status quo.
Portfolio companies include a diverse group of investments that span new media, mobile applications, wireless infrastructure, semiconductors and materials, and software (including SaaS).
Scope of PositionAs our client prepares to launch a new $100mm fund, it seeks to add a partner to its existing executive team. The incumbent will work with the firm's other partners in sourcing, evaluating, and negotiating investments across Canada. Drawing on the broader resources of the fund, the new partner will then support investee companies with financial, operational, strategic and networking resources in helping the firms reach their full potential.
• Source, evaluate, and negotiate attractive early-stage investments for the fund.
• Oversee portfolio companies.
• Recruit, motivate and influence top management of portfolio companies.
• Together with the other partners ensure that investments are made consistent with the fund’s strategy.
• Perform extensive and in depth due diligence to ensure quality investments.
• Enhance current ties while developing new networks to other venture capital funds for co-investing and deal sourcing, as well as adding credibility to the team.
• Provide leadership to the existing team and contribute to developing the firm’s brand and market presence.
• Assist in fundraising efforts, as required.
• Add the element of domain expertise and bring in depth knowledge of one or more technologies - a “resource expert”.
• Assist in raising additional capital for portfolio companies.
• Sit and serve on the board of directors for portfolio firms.
• Create high performance management teams by developing an environment based on the firm's values of collaboration and innovation.
• Provide general strategic and financial advice, for both the firm and portfolio companies.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
• Specific performance measures will be agreed upon with the successful candidate prior to joining the organization.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Partner at a Canadian Venture Capital Fund -
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization's total expenses and revenues.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor's products, services and position.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Generates new ideas. Challenges existing assumptions. Goes beyond the status quo. Recognizes the need for new or modified approaches. Brings various perspectives and approaches together, combining them in a creative fashion to implement effective improvements.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Gathers and interprets all available sources of information. Willing to make solid and quick decisions when necessary. Can commit to a course of action without delay when faced with limited information.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
• Have thorough industry knowledge in either venture capital or technology.
• Should be comfortable and familiar with dealing in an environment that rewards not only individual deal performance but an organization that values the performance of the team.
• Have strong negotiation and closing skills and be known for negotiating profitable, but fair, long-term deals.
• Experience working with Boards of Directors of early stage, emerging technology companies is preferred.
• A minimum of seven to ten years venture capital experience with a successful track record of investing in early stage technology companies.
• Senior management (VP,CEO etc) experience with a technology background.
• Be well-respected and well networked in the venture community.Northeast-facing personal network preferred.
• Strong analytical and quantitative skills in order to conduct original research and assess technology market opportunities.
• Strong technical undergraduate degree preferred, with an MBA or other advanced degree desired.
Remuneration & Benefits
• The client offers a competitive compensation package which consists of a base and carried interest, dependent on level of experience.