Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) - Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is an exciting, young GTA-based Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) company which has developed a cost effective, data capture platform ideally suited for inspecting and monitoring over long distances with particular application in the energy, power and oil and gas industries to name a few.
Backed by a strategic investor, the company is well funded and boasts a robust growth strategy focused on the continued commercialization of its existing portfolio of solutions along with developing new applications.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the CEO, the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) is responsible for providing leadership in all activities related to the development and delivery of products and systems from definition and specification through design, release, enhancement, quality assurance, implementation and support.
The CTO will cultivate an environment that attracts, deploys and retains the human and other resources required to effectively develop, deliver and support world class technologies that will provide value to the company’s customers, while meeting the business strategy and goals for profitable growth.
- Translate and align the company’s engineering organization’s activities with the company goals and strategic direction, as well as with the company’s corporate values in areas such as people, integrity, passion and innovation
- Develop and manage the company’s technology and product roadmaps, interfacing with customers and other stakeholders to ensure that the organization is not only developing technologies for today but also with a clear direction and plan for tomorrow
- Hire and manage direct reports, along with their goal setting, performance measurement and development feedback
- Develop reliable technologies and systems on-time, within cost targets, using accepted state-of-the-art methodologies balancing the demands of functionality, quality, costs, and desired release dates
- Maintain keen awareness of the trends and conditions in technology, products and development tools relative to the needs of the company's customers and businesses
- Audit existing and establish new scalable development platforms and processes which meet current organizational requirements, anticipates future growth and complexity and balance the need for predictability and creative license
- Establish key indicators for competitive performance in completion of development projects and for rapid, realistic decisions on strategies, plans and projects
- Foster an environment that enables highly technical staff to consistently perform with excellence, to set and meet personal and team goals, and to develop and be recognized for best in class competence in their field(s) within the context of the company's development programs
- Establish and maintain succession plans and programs for all positions within the engineering organization to ensure the smooth transition and minimize vacancies for critical roles
- Interface with appropriate internal and external resources to ensure intellectual property is appropriately protected.
- Maintain positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors.
- Serve as part of the senior management team ensuring throughout that key stakeholders are informed of design/development progress and issues.
- Implement engineering budgets and monitor project expenditures to ensure product development efficiency.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Timely execution and delivery of the company's pilot program
- Commercialization and launch of the company's product and platform by the end of 2017
- Develop and deliver a 3-4 year technology and product roadmap
The following competencies listed below define the role of Chief Technology Officer:
Adopts an energetic approach. Works towards goals and willingly tackles demanding tasks. Demonstrates capacity for sustained effort and hard work over long periods of time, even in the face of adversity.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Generates new ideas. Challenges existing assumptions. Goes beyond the status quo. Recognizes the need for new or modified approaches. Brings various perspectives and approaches together, combining them in a creative fashion to implement effective improvements.
Makes an immediate positive impression upon others. Has presence and commands respect. Comes across with force and quickly establishes credibility. Accurately predicts the effects of own words and actions. Makes an immediate positive impression upon others.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Negotiates skilfully and convinces others to own point of view. Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others. Mobilizes people into action.
Draws parallels across situations and contexts. Divides problems into their individual elements. Develops several explanations or alternatives. Separates the core of a problem from its symptoms and can identify cause and effect.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Preferred Experience / Education
- The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- The preferred candidate will have experience working in highly dynamic, entrepreneurial, fast-paced and innovative environments
- The successful candidate will have a proven record of inspiring and mentoring product development teams to deliver to agreed upon outcomes.
- The successful candidate will bring proven experience across a broad range of software and engineering development methodologies and will boast a track record of success in developing highly scalable development teams
- Preference will be given to candidates with a proven track record of leading and scaling consumer oriented software development teams from 30 to 100 engineers
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or software engineering, or other appropriate engineering discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience to perform at this level
- A minimum of 10+ years relevant and related work experience with a minimum of 5 years successfully leading and directing engineering teams
- Advanced understanding of systems engineering, including mechanical, electrical and software engineering is a prerequisite
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience:
- in the aerospace, aviation, UAS , robotics fields
- developing image processing, machine learning systems and artificial intelligence
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive base, variable and stock plan for the successful candidate.