Technology–Chief Financial Officer - Toronto
Our client has developed an advanced visual search capability that allows consumers the ability to instantly discover and purchase products with their smartphones.
Currently adopted by a growing list of global retailers and brands our client now needs to bring on board a Chief Financial Officer.
Scope of Position
Based in Toronto and reporting to the CEO, the CFO will be responsible for overseeing all financial matters of the company and reporting on such matters in a timely and accurate fashion to the executive management team and Board of Directors.
- Act as a key business partner to the CEO and the operating team providing financial guidance and counsel on all matters relating to the finance function including strategic business planning, budgeting and forecasting, business analysis, and corporate growth strategies. Take ownership for results along with the management team.
- Provide hands-on leadership, guidance, mentorship and performance management to the finance staff in the organization.
- Ensure that finance organization is structured and sized, so as to be optimally aligned to the needs of the business.
- Working with and supporting the CEO with all ongoing fundraising activities while managing the company’s cash effectively.
- Oversee and manage the accounting, tax, insurance, budget, credit and treasury and capital structure functions ensuring that the interests of all stakeholders are served. Manage relationship with audit firm for annual audit/income tax activities and all related matters.
- Leverage a detailed understanding of 'what's driving the numbers' to act as a key strategic and operational contributor to the overall growth of the business.
- Ensure appropriate internal controls are developed and in place for the benefit of all stakeholders and the more efficient operation of the business.
- Serve as a champion for enterprise excellence and the maximizing of value creation.
- Lead all investor relations activities with a view to accurately and positively representing the company in the public and financial marketplaces. Ensuring all stakeholders including lenders and financial institutions are kept up to date on all relevant financial matters in a timely manner.
- Ensure compliance to securities statutory and regulatory reporting requirements.
- Remain informed about the business, put measurements and reporting dashboards into place enabling real time assessment of performance and 'what's over the horizon'.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific measures of performance will be discussed with and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of the Chief Financial Officer.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization's total expenses and revenues.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor's products, services and position.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- A minimum of 10-15 years of senior financial management experience, with some prior experience in a senior finance role with a publicly traded company.
- Experience managing a finance department and directing all the activities involved in the financial stewardship of a publicly traded company.
- Previous experience in fundraising for a public company along with proven Investor Relations experience is a prerequisite.
- Experience in negotiations with customers, suppliers and distribution partners, investors and debtors, etc
- Experience working in fast-paced, dynamic and early-stage technology companies.
- A hands-on, ‘roll up your sleeves’ orientation.
- Experience with acquisitions and their integration, strategic alliances and positioning in a hyper growth environment.
- A participative, inclusive team style.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive base salary, variable and stock plan