Technology - VP Engineering - Ottawa
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
A Public Technology company headquartered in Ottawa, with regional offices in US and Europe.
Reporting to the President & CEO, the VP Engineering will lead the product development team and serve as an integral member of the executive management team, assisting in the development and implementation of the Company’s strategic direction as it enters into its next phase of significant growth and a series of new product offerings. Working in a multi-disciplinary environment and diverse geographies, the successful candidate will lead the engineering teams by demonstrating cross-functional expertise along with leadership skills within the development domain. The broad objective of the role is to continue to cultivate an environment that attracts, deploys and retains the human and other resources required to effectively develop products that will provide value to customers while meeting the company’s business strategy and goals.
- Align the Engineering team’s activities with the company goals and strategic direction, as well as the company’s values around innovation, customers and people.
- Provide overall leadership in Engineering to achieve corporate milestones.
- Lead the multi-disciplined (HW, SW and QA) product development team, including organizational planning, recruiting, setting objectives, providing feedback and career development for all engineering staff.
- Oversee/manage outsourced suppliers, both in North America and off shore.
- In collaboration with the CEO, CTO and Product Management, define and execute the product roadmap. Establishing key indicators for competitive performance in completion of development projects and for rapid, realistic decision on strategies, plans and project
- Prime and lead overall planning and execution of all product development ensuring on-time delivery, with quality, cost focused and maintainable designs
- Ensure operational milestones are met on time, with high quality and that they meet the cost objectives that are established; reporting on a monthly as well as a quarterly basis.
- Maintaining keen awareness of the trends and conditions in technology, products and development tools relative to the needs of the company’s customer business
- Build and facilitate the development of strong relationships and synergies with all other areas of the company and with the company’s technical partners and customers in order to achieve the corporate goals, objectives and revenue targets.
- Manage independent R&D centers of excellence providing guidance and direction in support of immediate customer demands and longer term product direction.
- Direct or delegate the development of operational policy, procedures and practices, both short and long term, as they pertain to customer service, quality control, product development, and project management.
- Participate as an open, engaged and committed member of the Executive Team in the formulation and execution of the corporate vision, strategy and product development objectives
Preferred Experience / Education
The ideal candidate will possess a breadth of varied and progressive experience in product and system development spanning over a decade and leading to the following characteristics:
- A degree in or the equivalent to: B.SC Electrical Engineering and/or B.SC Computer Science.
- 15 years of progressive work-related experience in large scale systems (HW and embedded SW) design and development including demonstrated success in a similar level role. The emphasis should be in software development with working knowledge of Cloud Computing, Social Networking and an understanding of emerging trends in the broadcast industry.
- Entrepreneurial experience in scaling a company from $25M to $100M and understanding the issues around delivering standard products and customized integrated solutions to large enterprise customers and service providers.
- An appreciation of working within an early stage environment and exhibiting an entrepreneurial, customer centric mindset
- Experience in International markets, system integration, manufacturing (outsourcing) and project management;
- Demonstrated success in aggressive product development life cycle management in a technology driven organization.
- Understanding operational issues associated with product development and system integration where teams are geographically dispersed.
- Passion, creativity and leadership skills coupled with rigorous ROI analytical and hands-on implementation skills
- Experience in implementing best practices in operations, quality systems, and engineering in an environment where customer demand is the predominant theme.
- A demonstrated ability to engage and motivate a highly skilled technical team; Experience successfully initiating and driving change within an organization.
- Demonstrated experience managing outsourced engineering teams in multiple locations.
Remunerations and Benefits
- Competitive base salary + variable bonus + benefits package