Technology - Senior Director, Custom Enhancement - Canada
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a well-established publicly traded Canadian software solutions provider. Their unparalleled solutions are based on their advanced proven technologies and feature-rich application suite and can be deployed as an integrated suite or as stand-alone components. Our client boasts over 500 customers spread over North America, Europe and Latin America. The firm is profitable and continues to grow.
Scope of Position
Under the direction of the Customer Delivery Vice- President, the Senior Director Custom Enhancement oversees the development of custom projects and services ensuring customer satisfaction while meeting established deadlines. He/she is responsible for creating a culture of innovation, personal growth and accountability within the team.
The incumbent will be responsible for all customer specific development work done for the company’s customers. The Custom Enhancement team itself is responsible for understanding the requirements identified, analyzing these requirements and determining how they can best be designed and deployed. The position will have experienced directors and managers, architects, business analysts, developers and QA Analysts reporting to it. The team will work very closely with the Professional Service team also reporting to Customer Delivery and will ensure that project deliveries are well understood and communicated throughout the Project Managers. The position will also work closely with the Support, Product and R&D teams to try to continually improve the generic products and to come-up with solutions that require less and less development effort. Finally, the successful candidate will also be involved during the pre-sales process, to provide pre-sales support as well as plans and estimates.
- Direct custom enhancement teams through managers
- Set performance standards and priorities through managers
- Direct hiring and training for new staff while continuing development of experienced staff
- Direct performance review, salary adjustments and incentive plans
- Work with sales to plan strategies and assign pre-sales support.
- Direct software development projects of varying sizes through development managers and project managers.
- Ensure projects are completed on time and on budget.
- Facilitate communication upward and across project teams including project statuses
- Serve as focal point for other departments on project status’ or other project information.
- Monitor & manage staffing forecasts/requirements in order to accommodate growth requirements.
- Direct personnel activities of staff (i.e. hires, training, appraisals, etc.)
- Work with managers in setting standards and priorities.
- Ensure all resources are professional with regard to customers and other company resources.
- Foster within team, effective communication with all other company teams.
- Provide feedback to Management regarding the performance of the team’s resources and/or resources from other teams.
- Provide feedback on ways to develop and foster the profitable growth of Customer Delivery Unit.
- Develop personnel policies to increase productivity, teamwork and quality of service.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific performance metrics and goals will be discussed and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Senior Director, Custom Enhancement at our client -
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Strives for excellence in products, processes and/or services through continued evaluation, enhancement and redefinition of quality standards.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers'/clients' needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor's products, services and position.
Recognizes when change is necessary. Challenges the status quo and champions new initiatives. Acts as a catalyst to change and stimulates others to change. Develops an effective action plan to implement change and monitors results.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization's total expenses and revenues.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Excellent leadership and managerial skills
- Must be logical and organized with great interpersonal skills and must also be capable of working under pressure
- Have good inter-personal skills; be a motivator
- Be an effective communicator with excellent communication skills, both written and oral, in French and in English
- Experience in system implementation is an asset as is knowledge of implementation methodologies
- Professional skills such as respect for clients, confidentiality and culture alignment
- The ability to manage change ensuring tight control
- Excellent knowledge of development methodologies
- Familiarity with ERP applications and Supply-Chain Management (warehouse management, distribution management, transportation management…).
- Minimum College or University Diploma in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related field
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive base salary and variable compensation.