Technology Company – Vice President, Finance
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our Client is a global market leader of perimeter intrusion detection sensors and has recently expanded their portfolio to include video management systems and analytics. A fully owned division of a global NASDAQ listed company, Client has revenues of $40M, a team of 160, with several subsidiaries across its sales regions and is headquartered Ottawa.
Client has built a strong international reputation as a solution provider in military, defence, and law enforcement.
Scope of Position:
Client is now looking for a new Vice President, Finance to manage the divisional financial operations. Reporting to the Corporate CFO and to COO, the Vice President, Finance has broad oversight for all reporting, budgeting, forecasting, compliance, auditing, payroll, planning analysis, and decision support for its global operations.
The Vice President will work closely with the CFO, based in their Parent’s Company HQ office, as well as their team of seven controllers, accountants, and analysts to provide timely financial data to shareholders, maintain internal controls, and ensure that reporting is SOX compliant. Following a 2016 merger, the incumbent will assist in post-merger integration activities and identify opportunities to streamline financial operations. The Vice President, Finance will bring new energy and a focus on modernization and sustainability to this well-established, successful organization.
As the ideal candidate will be passionate about numbers, forward thinking, and strive to provide the organization and its shareholders with clear, concise, real-time financials that enable short, medium, and long-term goal-setting. Known for your ability to inspire and engage your team, you are a natural coach and mentor with outstanding communication and interpersonal skills. You demonstrate an open, collaborative management style with an ability to work effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Responsible for setting the financial strategy to ensure long term growth and optimum enterprise value for the company;
- Act as a key business partner to the COO, the Regional Sales VPs and the operating team providing financial guidance and counsel on all matters relating to the finance function including business planning, budgeting and forecasting and business analysis. Take ownership for results along with the management team;
- Act as a key partner to the CFO for all the on-going financial matters, as well as for strategic and transformational activities, managing the interface with the Corporate finance team
- Report on the Company's financials (i.e. P/L, Balance Sheet, cash flow, etc.) to the executive management team;
- Provide hands-on leadership, guidance, mentorship and performance management to the finance staff in the organization;
- Oversee and manage the accounting, tax, insurance, budget, credit and treasury and capital structure functions ensuring that the interests of all stakeholders are served;
- Provide teaching and coaching to other senior management staff on financial matters relating to their operational responsibilities;
- Preparation of the annual financial statements in accordance with Canadian and US GAAP requirements, as necessary;
- Provide effective cash flow management (receivables, suppliers, capital expenditures, expenses) and make recommendations; review existing financial procedures and implementation and necessitate change as approved;
- Oversee all budgeting aspects and audits relating to the Company and oversee all financial management systems incorporated by the Company; provide primary interface with the approved external auditors;
- Provide the primary external interface with financial institutions and investment community;
- Ensure operational milestones are met on time, with high quality and that they meet the cost objectives that are established; reporting on a monthly as well as a quarterly basis;
- Leverage a detailed understanding of 'what's driving the numbers' to act as a key strategic and operational contributor to the overall growth of the business.
- Ensure appropriate internal controls are in place for the benefit of all stakeholders including an ultimate responsibility for the SOX compliance in the division and a full cooperation with the group's SOX consultants;
- Manage relationship with audit firm for annual audit/income tax activities and all related matters;
- Ensure that finance organization is structured and sized to be optimally aligned to the needs of the business;
- Oversee all purchasing and payroll activity for staff and participants;
- Maintain an adequate Transfer pricing mechanism and documentation;
- Manage banking and other stakeholder relationships;
- Manage financial relationships/contracts with investors, debtors, suppliers, customers and partners along with the COO and other team members;
- Ensure compliance to securities statutory and regulatory reporting requirements;
- Effectively manage the company's cash and securities position and drive any supplementary initiatives deemed necessary by the company;
- Remain informed about the business, put measurements and reporting dashboards into place enabling real time assessment of performance and 'what's over the horizon';
- Attend Board and Subcommittee meetings; including being the lead staff on the Audit/Finance Committee;
Encourages others by creating enthusiasm, a feeling of investment and a desire to excel; Inspires others to follow and a healthy attitude to work by recognizing positive contributions.
Coaching and Developing Others
Accurately assesses strengths and development needs of employees; Challenges others to improve their abilities and actively supports their development; Continually provides timely and constructive feedback, coaching and challenging learning opportunities; Adjusts coaching style based on each employee's ability and motivation level.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met; Has a reputation for execution and delivery; Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure; Aims to improve upon past performance; Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve/exceed them.
Recognizes when change is necessary; Challenges the status quo and champions new initiatives; Acts as a catalyst to change and stimulates others to change; Develops an effective action plan to implement change and monitors results.
Preferred Experience and Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Bachelor’s Degree in finance, Commerce or Administration with CPA/CMA/CGA/CA designation;
- A minimum of 10 years of senior financial management experience preferably in a publicly traded company;
- Extensive experience in senior financial management roles including managing financial reporting, audit, ITC’s and SRED submittals; experience presenting to and working with Senior Management and head office;
- Experience in handling legal documentation, T&C’s, LOC’s, etc;
- Experience upgrading/implementing accounting and IT systems essential to run the business;
- Knowledge of automated accounting systems, U.S. GAAP, and familiar with the SOX compliance process;
- Excellent presentation, communications and computer skills;
- Experience in managing, supervising and leading personnel including accounting, finance, legal and compliance group;
- Participated in or lead commercial negotiations of any type relevant to the company's business plan;
- Actual operational experience in a company that manages a supply chain supporting multiple products, manufacturing and inventory would be an asset;
- Experience in a software sales operation is an advantage;
- Experience working in a firm addressing global markets and the complexities therein;
- Numeracy and fluency with numbers and their relationships. Attention to detail critical;
- The ability to lead, to communicate clearly and articulately, to monitor and express financial issues to the Executive team;
- The ability to put value creation into perspective and know what makes the business tick - a strong business understanding;
- Experience within mid-sized technology company concerns dealing with issues of scaling and growth;
Remuneration and Benefits
Comprehensive salary and benefits package.
If interested, please contact:CATHERINE PAN DIRECTOR RESEARCH GROUP firstname.lastname@example.org (613) 592 4145 EXT 223