Technology – Chief Operating Officer - Ottawa
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Client
Client builds the world’s most reliable critical communications systems that integrate Voice, Video and Data to deliver advanced IP-based interoperability solutions for public safety 9-1-1, military command, security and other mission critical applications.
Scope of Position
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) reports to the Chief Executive Officer and is responsible for the company’s day-to-day operating activities, including delivery of revenue, management of expenses, cost and margin control and monthly, quarterly and annual financial goal management. This will include all aspects associated with R&D, System Engineering, Product Management, Product Verification, Integration, Project and Contract Management and Delivery.
Responsibilities will include:
- Participate as an open, engaged and committed member of the Executive Team in the formulation and execution of the corporate vision, strategy and business objectives
- Direct or delegate the development of operational policy, procedures and practices, both short and long term, as they pertain to customer service, quality control, product development, project management and sales to support overall company objectives.
- Demonstrate successful execution of business strategies for company products and services.
- Management of a low volume high cost manufacturing environment with the ability to adjust solution quickly to support customer requirements.
- Understand and apply efficient and cost effective operations knowledge and practice and, to sustain a profitable day to day business operations that enable service delivery which meets or exceeds customer expectation;
- Develop and execute a strategy that drives excellence across the operational organizations, leveraging best-of-class processes, technology and team members to meet and exceed customer expectations as measured by output and efficiency;
- Ensure operational milestones are met on time, with high quality and that they meet the cost objectives that are established; reporting on a monthly as well as a quarterly basis.
- Create and sustain a viable organizational structure to make optimum use of human resources, technology and systems;
- Build and facilitate the development of strong relationships and synergies with all other areas of the company and with the company’s technical partners and customers in order to achieve the corporate goals, objectives and revenue targets.
- Manage independent R&D centers of excellence providing guidance and direction in support of immediate customer demands and longer term product direction.
- Foster a culture of team spirit and innovation into the longer and short-term operations of the organizations
- Install the concept of Process Control and Planning wherever possible within Operations, while ensuring that processes are adapted to the relatively small scale of the company.
- Direct and participate in acquisition and growth activities to support overall business objectives and plans.
- Assist in transforming the Customer Service department to obtain recurring revenues from that department while creating a high level of customer satisfaction and innovation with respect to Client’s Customer Service product offering, which may extend to offering system upgrades, installation jobs, customer training and system integration.
- Lead and administer the company’s AOP and participate in the Strategic Plan.
- Maximize the company’s usage of ERP and MIS tools to maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of the company’s operations
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant engineering field from a recognized university or acceptable level of education, training and experience
- At least 15 years of experience in the telecommunications industry, with 5 years in an executive level position, such as general manager or vice president;
- Experience taking a company from $10M to $50M+ revenue.
- Knowledge of Manufacturing Process Control, Supply Chain management, R&D and System Engineering processes, Documentation, Project and Contract Management and Delivery Services.
- Knowledge of Electronic Manufacturing and Testing.
- Solid working knowledge of budgeting processes and financial analysis, sales, business development, and strategic planning.
- Strong HR Management Skills (Supervision, Coaching, Evaluation, Planning, Training, Motivation).
- In-depth knowledge of re-engineering and change-management processes
- Experience in implementing best practices in operations, quality systems, and engineering in an environment where customer demand is the predominant theme.
- Comprehensive knowledge of ERP and MIS
- Knowledge of New product Introduction processes
- Ability to generate respect and trust from staff and external constituencies.
- Team player with a proven ability to operate independently in a wide variety of dynamic and challenging situations
- Enthusiastic and self- motivated with demonstrated ability to think at a strategic level, translate strategy into action and execute
- Excellent written and verbal skills and effective presentation skills in both French and English would be an asset
- Strong computer skills most notably Microsoft Office Suite
- Familiarity with ISO-9001-2000
- Familiarity with MIL-Specs
Remuneration and Benefits
- Competitive base salary + variable component + benefits package