Software Company - Chief Technology Officer, Kingston
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client, a small innovative software company and Microsoft partner has developed a unique suite of B2B enterprise software solutions for the healthcare market. Its software is provided on both a locally hosted/on-prem and SaaS/cloud basis and is offered on both the IOS and Android mobile platforms. The company is growing extremely rapidly as solutions gain traction in the primary market and as a result the company is adding to its development team. As part of that growth plan, the company is looking to add a Chief Technology Officer (CTO) to the senior executive team.
Scope of Position
Broadly, the objective of the role of the CTO is to cultivate an environment that attracts, deploys, and retains the human and other resources required to effectively develop, deliver, and support our client's platform, and applications providing value to the company’s customers, while meeting the business strategy and goals for profitable growth.
Reporting to the President, the CTO is responsible for providing leadership in all activities related to the development and delivery of the company's offerings from design, development, quality assurance, release, enhancement, and implementation.
The successful candidate will assume responsibility to lead multiple development teams (approximately 25 professionals), build and implement different products/solutions using a broad range of technologies for several clients.
- Contribute to overall technical vision and architecture of the company products.
- Own all aspects of the solution service delivery. Collaborate with product management and sales organizations to prioritize product roadmap.
- Collaborate with the Executive Team to help provide the overall leadership for the business.
- Provide technology and SaaS platform subject matter expertise.
- Develop and communicate long term technology vision and scalable technical architecture.
- Deliver technologies and solutions on schedule, within budget, while meeting high quality standards and overseeing the implementation of ISO standards.
- Manage operational issues systematically and ensure internal teams receive an outstanding service level from the development organization. Anticipate roadblocks, diagnose problems and generate, through the team, effective solutions.
- Optimize development and QA costs are over time and scope by applying a disciplined, quantifiable approach to the definition, development, testing, and maintenance of the software architecture and its code.
Key Perfromance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Cycle time excellence and on-time product delivery to market
- Quality of Service and customer satisfaction
- Retention and recruiting
- Employee satisfaction and motivation
- Development of staff e.g. Goals completed, performance reviews completed etc.
- Functionality and performance
- Budget management as well as product cost
- Defects per design
- Product reliability
- Productivity e.g. Developers/revenue ratio
- Responsiveness e.g. to market changes, customers
- Achievement of overall corporate goals
The following competencies listed below define the role of Chief Technology Officer:
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Developing & Coaching Others
Accurately assesses strengths and development needs of employees. Adjusts coaching style based on each employee's ability and motivation level. Challenges others to improve their abilities and actively supports their development. Continually provides timely and constructive feedback, coaching and challenging learning opportunities.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers'/clients' needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables:
- A leader, who has hired, mentored and developed strong product development teams.
- University degree in Computer Engineering / Computer Science.
- Fifteen or more years’ experience in increasingly senior software engineering roles, including five or more years at an executive level.
- A leadership style that ensures each engineering project is driven by a unified purpose, a development process suitable to the project at hand, a team culture of understanding the problem, and a flow of ideas such that the best ideas rise to the surface.
- Demonstrated experience building and delivering SaaS platforms with full life cycle services. Provisioning, Fulfillment, Subscription Management, Commerce, and Services Delivery.
- Experience leading multiple engineering / development teams of at least 20 professionals.
- Capable of engaging with customers, prospects and technology partners.
- Experience managing a diverse set of development projects within a structured release framework (long term platform roadmap items, customer solutions, operational enhancements managed through a bi weekly release process).
- A technologist with an extensive background in architecture and development, combined with superb executive management skills.
- Our client is based in Kingston and the successful candidate will be expected to live and work in the community. This is a great opportunity to relocate to an area with reasonable housing prices, short commute times and excellent work/life balance.