Software - Board of Directors
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our Client is a software company offering integrated intelligent video management solutions for security surveillance and business intelligence applications. The company is a global leader in intelligent video technology and is propelling the adoption of video analytics as an integral component of video management solutions. The firm’s products are based on innovative, open technologies that provide customers with a single platform for migrating from analog video to intelligent IP video solutions.
Our Client is a venture backed, Canadian-based company. It is recognized by industry analysts, resellers, and end-customers for its product innovation and commitment to excellence. The firm's solutions are sold through distributors and certified partners in over 90 countries. In addition the firm's software is embedded is the solutions or major integrators and OEMs.
Scope of Position
As the firm's global growth continues at a torrid pace, the Board is seeking to add selected complementary skill sets to its core team. It has initiated a process to identify candidates who possess the domain, functional and international experience, skills, and influence to augment the overall effectiveness of the current board.
- Promote the organization in the marketplace as appropriate
- With the remainder of the Board, delegate to the CEO the responsibility and resources to achieve the stated ends, within what the Board defines as acceptable practice.
- With other board members, define, communicate and refine the company's values and strategies
- Plan and implement plan for the succession of CEO and key executives.
- Review operational reports, comment and make recommendations.
- Make recommendations to the board based on industry experience, knowledge and know-how
- Financial management, including adoption and oversight of annual budget
- Formulate and provide oversight to policies and procedures
- Define, as goals, the essential deliverable products and services
- Define, communicate, monitor and refine the company's values and strategies.
- Sit on committees as required
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Become familiar with other board and committee members and nurtured a collegial working relationship that has contributed to consensus and better decision-making.
- Has leveraged industry contacts and actively participated in discussions regarding new business ventures, strategic alliances, acquisitions etc.
- Has volunteered for and willingly accepted assignments and completed them thoroughly and on time.
- Has attended and participated in meetings on a regular basis, and special events as determined by the board
- Is an active participant in committees' annual evaluation and planning efforts.
- Has established mentoring and counselling relationship with CEO as required.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Board of Directors –
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization's total expenses and revenues.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor's products, services and position.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Developing & Coaching Others
Accurately assesses strengths and development needs of employees. Challenges others to improve their abilities and actively supports their development. Continually provides timely and constructive feedback, coaching and challenging learning opportunities. Adjusts coaching style based on each employee's ability and motivation level.
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- An understanding of the challenges in scaling organizations from $10 to $100 mm in revenues.
- Significant experience in the security industry (either large strategics, distribution,end customers).
- May come from large organizations (retail, banking, Fortune 500) with understanding of large distributed IT infrastructures & IP solutions.
- May be former senior executive from large technology firm (e.g. Cisco, IBM, HP) with relationships to CIOs and/or partners.
- Experience in mergers and acquisitions that can be applied to a firm which has been built organically and seeks to be responsive to other means of growth.