Software - Chief Financial Officer, GTA
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
Our client is a privately-owned venture backed North American company, leader in its market segment, that is continuing to experience explosive growth. The company has experienced an average 59% annual growth over the last year 3 years and is on pace to double in the next 18 - 24 months. The company has been recognized by Deloitte for multiple years as one of the fastest growing technology companies in Canada and North America.
In 2016, the World Economic Forum stated that the fourth industrial revolution “will create realities that were previously unthinkable.” Knowing that revolutionary technology will drive the transformation of business models in every industry, our client is playing a leadership role as the dynamics of the industry alters to meet the expectations of the consumer.
Based in the Greater Toronto Area, the company is taking its highly successful SaaS model and will continue to push innovation and transformation further into its market through mobile customer experience applications, and business intelligence.
Scope of Position
Due to the impending retirement of a key executive team member, our client is currently seeking a new Chief Financial Officer (CFO). Based in the Greater Toronto Area and reporting to the CEO, the CFO will be responsible for overseeing all financial matters of the company and reporting on such matters in a timely and accurate fashion to the executive management team and Board of Directors.
As well, the CFO will partner with the CEO and the operating team providing financial guidance and counsel on all matters relating to the finance function including strategic business planning, budgeting and forecasting, business analysis, and corporate growth strategies.
- Contributing to the overall management of the firm, as part of the senior management team.
- Acting as the business partner for the CEO in providing guidance and counsel on all major strategic issues.
- Provide hands-on leadership, guidance, mentorship and performance management to the finance staff in the organization.
- Ensure that finance organization is structured and sized, so as to be optimally aligned to the needs of the business.
- Continuously assess the finance organization and its practices to ensure that the team and its processes evolve to suit the business as it grows and matures.
- Working with and supporting the CEO with all ongoing fundraising activities while managing the company’s cash effectively.
- Oversee and manage all financial reporting, budgeting, forecasting and reconciliations along with preparation of financial statements and cash flow projections, ensuring that the interests of all stakeholders are served.
- Manage relationship with audit firm for annual audit/income tax activities and all related matters.
- Leverage a detailed understanding of 'what's driving the numbers' to act as a key strategic and operational contributor to the overall growth of the business.
- Ensure appropriate internal controls are developed and in place for the benefit of all stakeholders and the more efficient operation of the business.
- Effectively manage the company’s cash and securities position and drive any supplementary initiatives deemed necessary by the company
- Serve as a champion for enterprise excellence and the maximizing of value creation.
- Ensure all stakeholders including lenders and financial institutions are kept up to date on all relevant financial matters in a timely manner.
- Remain informed about the business, put measurements and reporting dashboards into place enabling real time assessment of performance and 'what's over the horizon'.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Chief Financial Officer:
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization's total expenses and revenues.
Quickly adapts to new situations and approaches. Open to change and readily adopts new methods in the face of shifting priorities and ambiguity. Can alter own perspective and behaviour in order to adjust to changing demands and plans.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables:
- A minimum of 10-15 years of senior financial management experience at the CFO level with responsibility for the day-to-day financial operations
- CPA, CA designation
- Technology sector experience with preference to experience working with SAAS or enterprise software companies
- Experience within mid-sized software company, concerns dealing with issues of scaling and growth.
- Experience in negotiations with customers, suppliers and distribution partners, investors and debtors, etc.
- Experience working in fast-paced, dynamic and early-stage technology companies.
- A hands-on, ‘roll up your sleeves’ orientation.
- Experience with acquisitions and their integration, strategic alliances and positioning in a hyper growth environment.
- Experience working in a firm addressing global markets and the complexities therein
- Experience with various types of banking and credit facilities
- Experience in building financial strategies, reporting and process for companies with $50 million+ revenue
- High proficiency in financial reporting
- Experience in preparing and presenting to Board of Directors with outside shareholders
- Experience with private equity and outside shareholders in a private company
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive base salary, variable compensation along with other compensation.