Smart Utilities - Global Director, Canada/USA
About the Comapny
Our client is a large, multidisciplinary professional services firm that delivers a comprehensive range of technical and strategic services, including consulting, information technology, engineering, process development, as well as project and construction management to the Metals, Energy and Infrastructure sectors. Recently, our client has created a new service sector focused on Digital solutions for industries, utilities and cities.
Over the past several years, there has been a literal explosion of interest in the digital transformation of cities, utilities, and industries. The goal in all cases is to improve the operation and productivity of the asset by reducing sources of variability and eliminating value destroyer across the value chain and across the lifecycle. Significant reductions in the cost of sensors and processors coupled with the rise of cloud-based computing and “big data” analytics will make it possible to transform the infrastructure of any utility into an information-rich network that tightly integrates people, processes and technologies. This paradigm will transform the manner in which utilities are planned, managed, operated and maintained.
Within its Digital Sector, our client leverages the revolutionary opportunities afforded by unprecedented levels of global digital connectivity and access to data. It will utilize emerging digital technologies and data analytics to support its clients in addressing complex challenges associated with delivering more with less, lifecycle management of aging infrastructure, increased regulation, a focus on resource conservation and the impacts of climate change.
Scope of Position
Our client has a significant global energy practice, spanning all aspects of hydro-electric, nuclear, LNG and renewable energy; from generation to transmission and distribution. Additionally, we have core expertise in the development of smart and microgrids and have developed a significant technology base in these areas. Our Client is seeking a Global Director of Smart Utilities, who can lead the digital transformation activities in their Energy Sector Clients. The successful candidate will be an entrepreneurial thought leader and a demonstrated visionary in one or several aspects of the energy sector and will have a expert’s understanding of the uses of digital technologies to positively transform the energy sector. Further, they will have a portfolio of successes in converting ideas into substantive projects.
The role calls for someone who knows what makes utilities tick and how both technologies and innovation can be deployed to best effect; an integrative thinker who is comfortable with many business models; a builder rather than implementer. Working with the company’s full complement of capabilities, the practice leader will give identity and drive growth utilizing the firm’s unique abilities for disruptive thinking, technology and business case driven solutions to enhance cities.
Smart Utilities is a nascent business within our client’s overall portfolio and will call for a leader who knows how to create a vibrant business by exploiting all potential routes to revenue; from early business consulting to assist clients in planning their digital transformation, through the provision of transformative, monetized “proof of concept” demonstrations of technology, to full-blown, bespoke, end-to-end technology solutions to address key shortcomings in their existing solutions and eventually, the creation Smart Utilities product offerings.
The goal will be to leverage our client’s deep subject matter expertise in the energy space to create high value offerings that apply best-in-class digital technologies such as the internet of things (IoT), cloud computing, big data, data analytics and cyber-security applications to create high value solutions for their clients’ key operational challenges.
- Work with the senior management team to develop, refine and implement the strategic direction for the Smart Utilities practice. This will include developing and focusing the strategic and technology road maps and market plans with the goal of expanding and improving market penetration, and enhancing competitive positioning.
- Work closely with Energy Sector Leadership and its clients to identify and develop opportunities.
- Work closely with the other practice leads within the client’s Digital Sector to ensure tight alignment of strategies, technologies, people and processes.
- Given the emerging nature of the Smart Utilities practice, the successful candidate will have demonstrated expertise in conceiving and implementing end-to-end digital solutions and will have demonstrated entrepreneurial or “a start-up mindset” in past engagements.
- The successful candidate with have expertise with an Agile solution development model and will have demonstrated its effective use on past cities and infrastructure projects.
- Building and developing the Smart Utilities practice through internal and external recruitment of the best talent and through ongoing team development.
- Provide ongoing direction, performance management and developmental support to the Smart Utilities Team. Continue to build world-class capabilities.
- Focus the team to accelerate and drive the growth of the business, new market penetration and development, sector leadership and profitability.
- Ensure that the Smart Utilities practice is fully aligned with the objectives and direction of the corporation.
- Aligning the culture, values, metrics and governance of the Smart Utilities practice to those of the overall organization.
- Report regularly and proactively to the Digital Sector Leader on results and plans going forward.
- Champion the group's interests to major customers and internal stakeholders.
- Lead the expansion of the practice and brand into new customers and markets. Engage with strategic stakeholders in those customers.
- Remain abreast of the industry, competitors and technology trends with a view to ensuring that the firm's services best align to market needs. Ensure that all alliance, acquisition and investment opportunities are considered and the most attractive, pursued.
- Serve as an ambassador for the group representing it at conferences, speaking engagements, and other external industry related events.
- Where possible, leverage relationships and projects to the benefit of other divisions and the organization as a whole.
- Use Smart Utilities opportunities and pursuits as a mechanism to drive growth of the firm’s other business practices, where synergies can be achieved.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific measures of performance will be discussed with and agreed upon with the successful candidate but will include responsibility for the achievement of targets related to business opportunity pipeline development, order intake, backlog development, profitability of the overall business practice and generation of opportunities for other parts of the organization through cross-selling.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Managing Director Smart Industries Group
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing market forces and internal capabilities. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate tactical issues to focus on strategic development of the business.
Imagines future possibilities, capabilities and offerings of the Smart Utilities practice. Thinks broadly and investigates a wide-range of alternatives in developing a vision and road map for the future. Selects the most promising vision from a range of alternatives and communicates this vision to others.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts leadership style to each situation to achieve optimum results.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers'/clients' needs and then delivers a sales solution to meet them. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor's products, services and position.
Incorporates information about the organization's structure and protocol into decisions. Attentive to the internal politics and alert to shifting interpersonal dynamics. Establishes the necessary support networks and cross-functional relationships through rapport building. Recognizes, maintains and effectively balances the interests and needs of one's own group with those of the broader organization.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in the delivery of solutions to the energy sector coupled with implementation of digital technology solutions (IIoT, Big Data, Cloud Computing, Data Analytics)
- Expert in the development of the value proposition and business cases for transformative digital solutions and a keen understanding of how to monetize them.
- Experience in growing a P&L
- Proven experience in creatively applying integrative solutions to solving problems
- Experience working in public sector energy markets
- Knowledge of how utilities deliver services through the complete planning, delivery and operation lifecycle of the asset.
- Detailed knowledge of utility plant operations, including process control, asset management and maintenance functions.
- Detailed knowledge of the energy regulatory environment (including emerging cyber security standards) is an asset
- Past experience in a start-up business is an asset
- Strong business development and sales orientation
- A highly intelligent, strategically minded executive with superb communication and interpersonal skills and a willingness to roll-up his/her sleeves.
- Strong team orientation well-suited to building consensus in a global concern.
- Experience in building and managing distributed teams of professionals
- Experience with the key technology providers with world-class offerings in the Smart Utilities and Infrastructure arena. Proven ability to create lasting technology partnerships.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive, unique compensation package to the successful candidate
If interested, please contact:
416-365-9494 x 777