Semicondutor - VP Software Engineering (Location: Ottawa/Toronto/Montreal/US)
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Client
More than a decade, Client has been successfully delivering product solutions that enhance the performance and capability of memory system designs for multiple generations of memory technology. Now they are building on that expertise, and have broadened their capabilities to include system level solutions that combine innovative software architectures with Non-Volatile memory technology with a mission to usher in a new generation of Solid State Storage.
Their products are targeted at applications with requirements for ultra high data rates, low power and low latency. Customers are international Tier 1 OEMs that integrate their advanced solutions in high-performance enterprise and data-center applications.
Scope of Position
Client is seeking to fill a key leadership role, reporting to the CEO, which will lead a multi-site software development team. The successful candidate will work closely with the Product Manager to plan, and deliver, software releases in support of Client's Memory Channel Storage (MCS™) and Converged Memory™ technology platform.
Demonstrated ability to:
- Manage, and enable, a team of software engineers responsible for the architecture, design, development, integration, testing, release and maintenance of Client software related to Memory Channel Storage and Converged Memory.
- Ensure projects are completed on time and according to well established quality guidelines
- Generate and maintain a development budget per project basis
- Be accountable for delivery of projects within schedule, budget and feature set
- Implement and ensure consistent software design and implementation of software development process
- Implement and ensure consistent software quality and implementation of rigorous software quality assurance process
- Recruit and hire new resources to strengthen the existing software development and quality assurance teams
- Evaluate engineering staff and works with the team to improve skills and software engineering processes
- Manage feature set vs. release partitioning
- Ensure that both internal and external stakeholders are informed of deployment of software upgrades, enhancements and fixes as per communicated release schedules
- Ability to create detailed project plans and maintain/evolve the plans based on changing requirements or priorities
- Run regular status meetings to assess risks in current schedule, remove obstacles, and adjust software deliverables where necessary
- Interface with Product Manager and Sales to ensure that the feature set requirements are inline with customer and market expectations
- Ability to manage multi-site development teams
- Provide leadership and guidance to coach, motivate, and lead team members in order to achieve optimal performance of the collective group, as well as, helping shape their career paths
- Collaborate with Product Manager, and CTO, on next generation product plans and vision
Desired/Required Skills and Experience
- Must have a University Degree. Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or equivalent preferred
- Must have at least 5 years in managing software development teams
- Must be able to demonstrate senior level experience in the architecture, development, release cycle and delivering software products to the enterprise market
- Demonstrated ability in all aspects of hiring - creating staffing plans, writing job descriptions, attracting talent, and making great hires
- Experience with Scrum methodology and Agile practices
- Experience with Microsoft, Linux and VMware operating systems and development technologies is an asset
- Good understanding of CPU architectures (SMP, NUMA, caches, pipelines), hardware (FPGA, microcontrollers, ASIC, NOR-Flash), drivers and firmware partitioning concepts is desirable
- Strong organizational skills and ability to communicate across multiple disciplines
- Autonomous and self-driven
- Tenacious and meticulous
- Excellent ability to work in a team
- Competitive salary, stock options, medical/dental insurance plan and several other social benefits are offered.