Semiconductor - Vice President of Engineering - Ottawa
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Headquartered in Ottawa Canada, Client focuses on developing software and system solutions that leverages its strong heritage in system-level design, memory channel interfaces and system-ASIC engineering. The Company develops full solutions including hardware modules, software layers for a variety of operating systems, ASICs and embedded firmware. It has architected a family of NAND-Flash module products for servers and storage systems where the value proposition is an unprecedented scalability of throughput and density. Client’s opportunities in the server space are directly related to applications like Virtualization, Analytics, VDI, and Distributed Storage, which are rapidly growing application spaces that will heavily leverage high performance NAND-Flash sub-systems for increased performance and efficiency.
Client has a strong intellectual property base with 20 patents granted or pending today.
Scope of Position
The Vice President of Engineering will lead Client's development team and serve as an integral member of the executive management team, assisting in the development and implementation of the company’s strategic direction as it enters into its next phase of significant growth. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Vice President of Engineering will have responsibility for all engineering execution of Client solutions of software and chipsets integrated into complete module-level customer products. This effort spans chip design, verification, emulation and back end and includes design, NPI, DFM, and component engineering.
The incumbent will lead a multi-disciplinary team of engineers located in Ottawa. This position will be based in Ottawa, Canada and may require travel to customers as well as strategic suppliers as required (~ 20% travel.). He/she will interact regularly with a variety of groups including Product Planning, the CTO office and Operations. As part of the executive, the VP will play a key role in setting the company’s strategic direction.
The Vice President Engineering will be responsible for:
- leads the execution of Client's products which include software, ASICs and board level products. This effort spans chip design, verification, emulation and back end and includes design, NPI, DFM, and component engineering
- leads multi-site, multi-discipline development team including organizational planning, recruiting, setting objectives, providing feedback and career development for all engineering staff
- establishes and maintains detailed plans and budgets and leads the development of scalable, sustainable process to ensure quality, maintainable designs are delivered on-time at required cost points
- motivating the team with a lead by example style that reflects the demands of the engineering environment
- assessing the teams capabilities and proactively recruiting to meet the ongoing project demands
- coaches and motivates team members to maintain and grow high productivity team
- oversees the management of outsourced suppliers in North America and off shore including the migration of verification and backend processes
- ensures compliance with appropriate government support programs (i.e. IRAP, TPC, SRED)
- as a member of the executive team, actively participates in setting the company’s strategic direction and participates in board of directors meetings
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- 10-15 years of development management experience including a minimum of 5-7 years of managing a multi-discipline, multi-layered organization
- hands-on, execution focused with strong project management experience and proven track record of developing scalable, sustainable development systems and processes
- experience developing hardware modules, software for a variety of operating systems, ASICs and embedded firmware
- experience in managing multi-site development and outsourced partners is a major asset
- proven experience attracting, mentoring, leading and empowering talented managers and individual contributors
- strong business acumen with experience in early stage environments
- mixed signal/analog development experience is critical
- system and/or board level development experience is a plus
- bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field or equivalent experience is required.
- advanced degree in engineering or related field is preferred
- ability to work in fast paced environment; sense of humor is a plus
- ability to travel to internationally as required (~ 20%)
Remuneration & Benefits
- Competitive base salary + variable bonus + benefits package