Renewable Power - Senior Director, Finance & Controller
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Headquartered in the Greater Toronto Area and with global operations our client is a highly successful power producer focused on developing, owning and operating renewable power projects.
Led by a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial and proven leadership team our client has built a values driven organization that has made it an industry leader. With a bright future our client is well positioned to continue its sustainable growth and success.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Senior Director & Controller is responsible for all functions related to financial reporting and disclosure, accounting, internal controls, audit, and financial processes. Of primary importance is the creation, maintenance and continued evolution of the Company’s finance group as an internal customer service organization, with visible access points, frequent communications outside the group, and an “internal coverage” model so that all stakeholders experience first rate service when dealing with the Finance group.
In addition, the successful candidate will have responsibility for evaluating and impacting the effectiveness of all systems and controls on a wide range of processes supporting the company's tactical and strategic initiatives and planning. This individual will be accustomed to dealing with complex reporting issues and be a strong resource for various internal and external stakeholders.
Management of the accounting department to ensure internal and external stakeholders receive relevant, timely, and accurate financial information and all compliance requirements are met on a timely basis.
- Proactively provide business and financial guidance and counsel for strategic and tactical activities to all finance and business and functional stakeholders, as required.
- Interpret the business’ operating results and recommend improvements as appropriate.
- Lead the development, implementation, maintenance, and enhancements of internal financial controls, policies, procedures, processes, and systems, as well as internal/external audits.
- Provide leadership, guidance and mentorship to a finance staff of approximately 20 individuals.
- Ensure that the financial practices and processes of the company are efficient and responsive to the needs of the business and comply with the corporation’s processes and systems as well as any regulatory requirements.
- Proactively assist team members with using existing, and developing new metrics to measure performance, and ensures systems and processes are in place to provide timely and accurate information to support them.
- Recruits, train, supervise, and evaluate department staff.
- Work in cooperation with business line managers to maintain relevant KPIs and metrics and ensure that the processes that are in place provide timely and accurate information.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the company’s operational plan and strategic business plan with the executive management team, as required.
- Report on the company's financials (i.e. P&L, Balance sheet, cash flow etc.) to the executive management team.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Senior Director, Finance & Controller:
Adopts an energetic approach. Works towards goals and willingly tackles demanding tasks. Demonstrates capacity for sustained effort and hard work over long periods of time, even in the face of adversity.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for
own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Makes an immediate positive impression upon others. Has presence and commands respect. Comes across with force and quickly establishes credibility. Accurately predicts the effects of own words and actions. Makes an immediate positive impression upon others.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and
responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Delegates responsibility to match the skill and ability level of team members. Provides others with the scope and resources necessary in order to complete assignments effectively. Creates an environment where individuals have the latitude to use their discretion.
Experience and Skills
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Minimum of 10 years leadership experience as a controller/manager of financial reporting with a professional designation; CPA, CA, CMA, or CGA.
- Working knowledge of consolidations, accounting regulations (IFRS), public reporting guidelines (OSC/TSX), tax accounting and spreadsheets.
- An analytical, detail oriented, team player with a proactive, “own it, solve it” mindset.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to motivate a team to work together in an efficient manner by managing the process of innovative change effectively.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills combined with excellent knowledge of control environments.
- Solid management skills with a track record of mentoring and growing team members;
- Strong documentation, reporting and computer skills are required.
Remuneration & Benefits
- A competitive compensation package commensurate with experience will be discussed with serious and qualified candidates.