Renewable Energy - Director, Purchasing / Procurement
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp. owns and operates a diversified $3.0 billion portfolio of regulated and non-regulated utilities in North America. APUC actively invests in hydroelectric, wind and solar power facilities, and sustainable utility distribution businesses (water, electricity and natural gas) through its two operating subsidiaries: Algonquin Power Co. (“APCo”) and Liberty Utilities Co. (“LUCo”).
APCo, APUC’s non-regulated electric generation subsidiary owns or has interests in renewable energy and thermal energy facilities representing more than 1,100 MW of installed capacity in both Canada and the United States.
LUCo, APUC’s regulated utility business, is committed to provide water, electricity and natural gas utility services to over 470,000 customers through a nationwide portfolio of regulated generation, transmission and distribution utility systems. LUCo is unique among its peers for its commitment to Community, Conservation and Customer Care. LUCo upholds the highest standards of service to meet the day-to-day needs of its customers and offers employee programs that recognize superior customer support and contribution to community. LUCo has operations in nine states including Arizona, California, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, Texas, Arkansas, New Hampshire and Georgia.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the CFO, the Director, Purchasing / Procurement will be part of the Liberty-Algonquin Business Services (“LABS”) Group and be initially responsible for oversight and leadership for all procurement activities associated with day-to-day operations of supply chain strategies to support LUCo’s growth goals, as well as the operational activities at its utilities.
The successful candidate will be accountable for development of LUCo’s long term strategic procurement processes and policies. Specific responsibilities will include procurement support for the major construction projects at LUCo’s various utilities and provide leadership in developing effective procurement processes and enablers that will enhance supply chain performance over a multi-year horizon.
Within 9 to 12 months, having established an effective LUCo procurement system, the successful candidate will develop and begin executing a procurement plan for addressing APCo’s long term strategic procurement program.
- Provide buying/purchasing service to project teams for the procurement of capital goods or services (major equipment, major trades contracts, etc.)
- Develop and implement LUCo’s fleet procurement and fleet management system
- Rationalization of existing multiple procurement systems inherited through LUCo’s various acquisitions (e.g. vendor rationalization, bulk buying, terms and conditions etc.)
- Provide supply chain and contract negotiation support to Project Managers for the procurement of key equipment (turbines, boilers, transformers, controls.)
- Develop corporate policies and procedures for procurement of goods and services, and supply chain management.
- Develop oversight and economy-of-scale wins for corporate procurement solutions – goods and services including key corporate buying accounts for high-volume common commodities
- Be responsible for corporate procurement software solution including various users of the system and ensure proper integration with enterprise-wide ERP system.
- Supervise, from time-to-time, additional purchasing/buying staff.
- Manage all functions related to day-to-day purchasing and supply chain management for existing Operations group – regionally dispersed throughout the US.
- Negotiate commercial terms and conditions with large/global/international vendors.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- To be agreed upon within a reasonable period after commencement.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Director, Purchasing / Procurement
Draws parallels across situations and contexts. Divides problems into their individual elements. Develops several explanations or alternatives. Separates the core of a problem from its symptoms and can identify cause and effect.
Quickly adapts to new situations and approaches. Open to change and readily adopts new methods in the face of shifting priorities and ambiguity. Can alter own perspective and behaviour in order to adjust to changing demands and plans.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner. Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience. Comprehends communications from others and responds appropriately.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Adopts an energetic approach. Works towards goals and willingly tackles demanding tasks. Demonstrates capacity for sustained effort and hard work over long periods of time, even in the face of adversity.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Has negotiated commercial terms and conditions for procurement related activities.
- Has been able to negotiate economic wins for company-wide procurement solutions for common goods/services.
- Has broad knowledge of the various technical aspects of the power generation industry (rotating machinery, high-voltage electrical equipment, industrial trades relative to power generation, electrical controls/SCADA/communication technologies, etc.)
- Has broad knowledge of various commercial aspects to large supply chain and procurement services such as: sales and use taxes and refunding; retainage/lien and hold-back mechanisms; LD’s; security and credit; not-to-exceed/open-book/T&M structures; etc.
- Has extensive experience pricing and negotiating contracts tendering for goods and services procurement.
- Is CPP or SCMP accredited, with 7-10 years related experience in procurement in an industrial or utilities environment.
- Has a valid driver’s license and passport with the ability to travel internationally as requested
Remuneration & Benefits
- Competitive and innovative compensation package which will be discussed with serious candidates