Printing Industries - General Manager (Calgary)
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Client
Client specializes in creating and providing high quality print solutions and related services. Principal business is built on their leading lithographic design and print capability which is combined with other related capabilities such as finishing, bindery, digital print and fulfillment to provide our customers with outstanding solutions for their communication needs.
Client have an advanced manufacturing capability, are a technical leader and are well positioned to compete in a market that is consolidating.
Client has been serving the Calgary market since the 90's and is a wholly owned subsidiary of a Parent Company based in Ottawa.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the President and CEO of Parent Company, the General Manager of Client Printing will be responsible for leveraging the company's current market position in Western Canada to significantly drive and accelerate revenue and profit growth. He/she will evaluate the existing business plan and work with the CEO and Client’s senior management team to develop the market and operational strategies to achieve the company's financial objectives. He/she will be responsible for implementing approved strategies and objectives. This includes leadership of the management team that is responsible for all operational, administrative and financial functions including sales, marketing, production, technical, human resources, and finance.
The ideal candidate is a highly intelligent, strategically minded executive with superb communication and interpersonal skills; a willingness to roll-up his/her sleeves and work with determination and energy to put Client on a path of sustainable growth. The individual will have a track record of success and a solid reputation for significantly scaling and managing an organization to the next level. Furthermore, he/she is of high character and exemplifies Client’s principles and values.
Demonstrated ability to:
- Develop and execute a strategy that meaningfully differentiates a business and achieves success;
- Evaluate, develop, direct and execute effective sales plans and strategies consistent with the company's overall strategic objectives. Lead in the preparation and achievement of the company's annual sales budget;
- Understand pricing for value and required returns and has done it in competitive markets.
- Spearhead the commercial agreements and sustainable relationships with potential customers. Orchestrate the process of effectively positioning Client with partners to leverage continued business;
- Lead technical and manufacturing operations as well as sales and marketing.
- Prepare timely reports with analysis of key performance metrics. Make recommendations to the CEO of the Parent Company as required;
- Remain abreast of competitive offerings, pricing and printing services strategies. Make recommendations to ensure position of the existing and future technologies are optimized;
- Collect and translate market feedback into a practical product roadmap going forward including a plan for developing and/or partnering in order to secure future additions to the product/services capability that will ensure ongoing growth and profitability.
- Provide ongoing direction, performance management and developmental support of the team in all functional areas. Focus the management team to drive the business to increased revenue generation, growth, sector leadership, and ultimately profitability;
- Articulate a compelling story around the division’s products, value proposition and competitive advantage, which will be leveraged into a winning position at the customer level;
- Participate as a member of the executive team, providing up-to-date information on the division’s key performance indicators and maintaining a strong relationship with head office;
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- University degree preferably in business or engineering, with 20 years of experience, 5 – 10 years in leadership roles in a bottom line oriented business.
- Experience growing a business from $10M to $30M plus.
- Experience in the printing business would be an asset.
- Proven sales, sales management and operational management experience contributing to the success of a similar size business.
- Ability to lead the business transformation around an ERP implementation is preferred.
- Proven track record of developing and mentoring existing staff to take the company to the next level. Ability to attract new team members to augment or upgrade existing capability.
- Proven entrepreneurial/smaller company experience, with appropriate financial and business acumen acquired from scaling an organization with similar characteristics.
- Previous experience working in an organization that is a subsidiary to a larger parent company.
- A facility for the 'people' side of organization building characterized by a pull rather than push approach to driving change and growth with the support from head office.
Remuneration & Benefits
Competitive salary and bonus structure commensurate with experience.