Renewable Power - Practice Lead / Director, Western USA
About the Company
Our client is a large, multidisciplinary professional services firm that delivers a comprehensive range of technical and strategic services, including consulting, information technology, engineering, process development, as well as project and construction management to the mining and metals, energy and infrastructure sectors.
Major corporations around the world recognize our client for its ability to bridge the gaps between research and innovative technologies, as well as between engineering and reliable operations. The firm places strong emphasis on developing innovative approaches, technologies and solutions that add value to its customers’ businesses.
For 60 years, our client has delivered unprecedented business results through a commitment to quality, lower operating costs, more efficient utilization of capital assets, higher standards for safety and risk management, faster start-ups and continuous performance improvements in all projects and programs.
Renewable Power Group
Alternative energy is no longer the alternative. It is a game-changing and self-sustaining force. Solar and wind power are now commonplace, accounting for considerable portions of many countries’ total energy capacity. And with the increased focus on reducing carbon emissions, it is expected that renewable power will play an increasingly important part in reaching those goals.
Emerging technologies are speeding the transition to a more harmonious mix of traditional and greener sources. While these changes are creating new opportunities, for industry the evolution is often more complex with greater regulation, carbon pricing and stakeholder engagement becoming the new norm.
Our client is putting its best minds together to find smarter solutions. Its Renewable Power Group provides services such as:
- Energy Resource Assessments and Site Selection
- Environmental Assessments and Management
- Design, engineering, procurement, and construction management
- Due diligence and independent engineering
- Off-grid hybrid power solutions
Among their many initiatives:
Water-free in situ oil extraction: Our client is a lead partner in Nsolv, an in situ oil extraction technology that uses no water and reduces greenhouse gas by three quarters compared to traditional methods.
Managing microgrids: Our client has developed a microgrid controller that manages power supply from multiple sources, enabling the most remote communities to minimize the use of expensive diesel and optimize renewable sources.
Fusion technology: Our client has partnered with a leading clean tech company, to advance the development of their fusion energy technology by designing a full-scale demonstration system to test this new technology.
Small modular reactors: Our client sees great potential for this technology, which is scalable and has lower capital costs than large reactors, making them ideal for remote sites and off-grid applications. They’re working with regulators and governments to support their safety, licensing, and implementation.
Scope of Position
Our client is currently seeking a practice leader who can help drive the growth of the firm’s renewable power practice in the Western U.S. leveraging its differentiated technologies and solutions-based approaches to build new revenue streams. Key is the ability to build upon the firm’s depth and breadth of expertise to develop and market innovative renewable power solutions. Our client’s track record of delivering such projects is matched only by its know-how to design them well.
The successful candidate will bring extensive experience and relationships within the renewable power sector, ideas, a reputation for excellence, passion and business development acumen to grow a vital practice (across public and private sector customers) in the Western U.S.
Though the position is ideally based in the firm’s Los Angeles office, there is flexibility as to where the successful candidate can be based.
- Work with the senior management team to refine, develop and implement the strategic direction for the Renewable Power practice in the Western U.S. This will include focusing the strategic road map and existing market plans, expanding and improving market penetration, and enhancing competitive positioning.
- Lead the expansion of the practice and brand into new customers. Engage with strategic stakeholders in those customers.
- Champion the group's interests to major customers and internal stakeholders.
- Ensure that organizational capacity is in place by which to deliver on plans.
- Provide ongoing direction, performance management and developmental support to the team. Build world-class capabilities. Focus the team to accelerate and drive the growth of the business, new market development, sector leadership and profitability.
- Ensure that the Renewable Power practice is fully aligned with the objectives and direction of the broader Energy group.
- Align the local culture, values, metrics and governance of the Renewable Power practice to those of the overall organization.
- Report regularly and proactively to the Global practice leader on results and plans going forward.
- Remaining abreast of the industry, competitors and trends with a view to ensuring that the firm's services best align to market needs. Ensure that all alliance, acquisition and investment opportunities are considered and the most attractive pursued.
- Serve as an ambassador for the group representing it at conferences, speaking engagements, and other external industry related events.
- Where possible leverage relationships and projects to the benefit of other divisions and the organization as a whole.
- Drive growth of the firm’s integrative approach.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific measures of performance will be discussed with and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Practice Lead/Director – Renewable Power Western USA
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization's total expenses and revenues.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers'/clients' needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor's products, services and position.
Incorporates information about the organization's structure and protocol into decisions. Attentive to the internal politics and alert to shifting interpersonal dynamics. Establishes the necessary support networks and cross-functional relationships through rapport building. Recognizes, maintains and effectively balances the interests and needs of one's own group with those of the broader organization.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in Renewable Power engineering/consulting
- Proven experience in creatively applying integrative solutions to solving problems
- Experience working in municipal and industrial markets
- Successful experience in growing a P&L
- Strong business development orientation
- Credibility gained via a sustained track record of project delivery
- Track record as a builder
- A highly intelligent, strategically minded executive with superb communication and interpersonal skills and a willingness to roll-up his/her sleeves.
- Strong team orientation well-suited to building consensus in a global concern.
- Experience in building and managing distributed teams of professionals
Remuneration & Benefits
- Attractive, highly competitive compensation package for the successful candidate
StoneWood Group, Toronto