Plotly - Chief Financial Officer
About the company
Our client, Plotly Inc, is the creator of the fastest growing, open-source software (OSS) for data visualization in the world. Exceeding more than 2 million downloads per month, Plotly's OSS has changed how engineering and financial institutions analyze and share their data. Plotly's enterprise products - Dash Deployment Server and Chart Studio - allow data scientists and engineers using Plotly's OSS to securely share analytics deliverables within their enterprise environment. Plotly's revenue has doubled every year for the past 3 years.
Funded by In-Q-Tel (the venture capital arm of the CIA) along with leading VCs in North America, Plotly’s data visualization platform has in a very short time proven to be indispensable to Fortune 500 companies across verticals including the financial services, oil and gas and scientific research community. Plotly boasts an enviable list of high profile companies that includes Tesla, Red Hat, Facebook, Google, and government institutions.
Headquartered in Montreal, Canada and with operations in Boston, MA, Plotly recently secured Series ‘B’ financing and is poised to continue its impressive YoY, double digit revenue growth.
To learn more about Plotly, please visit:
Scope of Position
Reporting to the CEO, the CFO will be responsible for overseeing all financial matters of the company and reporting on such matters in a timely and accurate fashion to the executive management team and Board of Directors.
- Provide hands-on leadership, guidance, mentorship and performance management to the finance staff in the organization.
- Ensure that the finance organization is structured and sized, so as to be optimally aligned to the needs of the business.
- Working with and supporting the CEO managing the company’s cash effectively and supporting typical capital raising activities (bank and high yield debt, etc.).
- Oversee and manage the accounting, tax, insurance, budget, credit and treasury and capital structure functions ensuring that the interests of all stakeholders are served.
- Manage relationship with audit firm for annual audit/income tax activities and all related matters.
- Leverage a detailed understanding of 'what's driving the numbers' to act as a key strategic and operational contributor to the overall growth of the business.
- Ensure appropriate internal controls are developed and in place for the benefit of all stakeholders (including individual dealerships) and the more efficient operation of the business.
- Serve as a champion for enterprise excellence and the maximizing of value creation.
- Ensuring all stakeholders including lenders and financial institutions are kept up to date on all relevant financial matters in a timely manner.
- Ensure compliance with all statutory and regulatory reporting requirements.
- Remain informed about the business, put measurements and reporting dashboards in place enabling real time assessment of performance and 'what's over the horizon'.
The following competencies listed below define the role of the Chief Financial Officer
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization's total expenses and revenues.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Proactive; Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Makes an immediate positive impression upon others; Has presence and commands respect; Comes across with force and quickly establishes credibility.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables:
- 8-15 years experience managing a finance department of an early-stage, growth oriented, VC backed company.
- Highly credible within the financial community with a track-record of fundraising through a variety of means, including, venture capital, private equity, debt, government grants/loans, public markets etc
- Preference will be given to individuals with a proven track record of scaling a B2B or SaaS company.
- A demonstrable ability to contribute and engage in a strategic and meaningful way at the C-suite and Board level.
- An ability or curiosity to understand a highly technical product and customer base in order to contribute insightfully to product positioning and pricing strategies.
- A hands-on, ‘roll up your sleeves’ orientation.
- A bias for action combined with a burning desire to succeed.
- A participative, inclusive team style.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive base salary, variable and stock plan .
If interested, please contact:
StoneWood Group, Toronto
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 233