Power Producer – Head of Investor Relations, Toronto
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Northland Power Inc. (“Northland”) is an independent power producer dedicated to developing, building, owning and operating clean and green power projects in Canada, Europe and other selected jurisdictions. Northland is focused on the development of sustainable power generation. Our facilities produce electricity from clean-burning natural gas and renewable resources such as wind, solar and biomass.
Established in 1987, Northland was one of Canada's first independent power producers. Today, Northland trades on the Toronto Stock Exchange, and has revenues in excess of $1 Billion, approximately $9.8 Billion in assets under management, and over 300 employees working out of the Toronto head office and at various project sites and operating facilities.
Northland has achieved a remarkable growth trajectory, currently operating 26 facilities the Company owns or has a net economic interest in 2,014 MW of operating generating capacity and 252 MW of generating capacity under construction, representing a 100% interest in Deutsche Bucht.
Northland has experienced tremendous growth in recent years and is poised for continued growth in the years to come. Northland is pursuing and developing projects across North America, Europe, Mexico, Taiwan and Latin America. Sustainability drives all efforts at the Company. Northland defines intelligent energy as the ability to meet present needs without compromising future potential. The Company is committed to maintaining our culture of health and safety, community engagement and respect for the environment.
For more information please visit www.northlandpower.ca.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Head of Investor Relations will proactively plan and execute a comprehensive external communications program to ensure the company is strategically positioned within the investor and analyst community. This will include the preparation of all communications with existing and potential retail shareholders, institutions, analysts, brokers and media to maximize awareness and interest in the company as an investment.
- Produce and execute a targeted communications plan to broaden the current shareholder base and educate stakeholders on the company’s progress
- Lead the strategic planning, direction and execution of the IR/PR function
- Develop multi-year investor targeting and communication plans.
- Act as the primary shareholder contact, building relationships with members of the investment community including analysts, bankers, institutional sales desks, retail investors and proxy firms
- Proactively convey Northland updates using a variety of communication mediums that adhere to current disclosure requirements and answer inquiries in a responsive, professional and timely manner.
- Maintain a current database of investment contacts.
- Plan and organize roadshows and participate in appropriate industry and financial conferences for the CEO, CFO and other members of the senior management team to attend as appropriate.
- Write press releases on Company developments and produce a variety of communications collateral including up-to-date investor packages, fact sheets, industry backgounders, and corporate presentation.
- Prepare speeches for quarterly conference call to discuss the financial results of Northland.
- Plan and manage the creation and printing of the annual report.
- Work alongside our Director of Communications to manage the website, ensuring the design and content are current and updated in a timely fashion. Extend the outreach of the Company Investor Relations through appropriate use of social media.
- Track and report on comparable companies and market indices.
- Prepare, run and document scheduled investor relations planning meetings including the execution and follow-up of action items.
- Proactively seek positive business and trade media coverage in priority markets
- Together with our Director of Communications, prepare senior management for media interviews on issues of questioning and positioning.
- Act as media spokesperson for the company at the direction of the CEO or CFO for Investor Relations events.
- Facilitate press conferences, when appropriate.
- Oversee support provided to Board of Directors at regular and special meetings Dissemination of board materials, management of board portal, board calendar.
- Plan and manage the annual general meeting of shareholders and develop relevant materials for Board of Directors meetings.
- Ensure support functions are in place and available to directors.
- Interface with, monitor and address concerns of proxy firms and activist representatives.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Head of Investor Relations:
Adopts an energetic approach. Works towards goals and willingly tackles demanding tasks. Demonstrates capacity for sustained effort and hard work over long periods of time, even in the face of adversity.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Makes an immediate positive impression upon others. Has presence and commands respect. Comes across with force and quickly establishes credibility. Accurately predicts the effects of own words and actions. Makes an immediate positive impression upon others.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources; Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision; Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances; Takes a long-term view of organizational success; Works to clarify long term organizational goals; Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them; Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Express ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner; Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience; Comprehends communications from others and responds appropriately.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- A Bachelor’s degree with a CPA, CMA or CGA designation; an MBA would be an asset.
- 10+ years of experience with a strong record of building positive long-term relations with the investor and analyst community.
- Excellent understanding of securities disclosure rules as well as regulations and filing requirements.
- Thorough knowledge and expertise in capital markets and performance metrics for public companies.
- Very familiar with valuation and financial modeling techniques used by investors and analysts.
- A deep understanding of trends in capital markets, macroeconomics, competitors and customer trends.
- Ability to occasionally travel for road shows and investor meetings.
- Entrepreneurial in orientation and possessing a client-service mentality; must be able to excel under pressure, as well as meet short deadlines.
- Possesses excellent written communication skills, with the ability to craft powerful and engaging messages that inspire others.
- Working knowledge of consolidations, accounting regulations (IFRS), public reporting guidelines (OSC/TSX), tax accounting and spreadsheets.
- An analytical, detail oriented, team player with a proactive, “own it, solve it” mindset.
Remuneration & Benefits
- A competitive compensation package commensurate with experience will be discussed with serious and qualified candidates.
Why Work at Northland?
- We are growing! A Northland career provides an opportunity to do more, learn more, and grow more as the Company continues to grow.
- We have an active Culture Committee that organizes events and fundraisers to get to know your fellow Northlanders, give back to our community, and have some fun.
- We offer great benefits, including a generous RRSP matching program.
- Our Toronto office is located right on the subway line at Yonge and St. Clair in a beautiful neighbourhood close to lots of great restaurants and walking distance to Rosedale.
Is Northland a Good Fit?
These are the values shared by Northlanders. We would like to hear from you if you share these values.
- Honesty & Integrity — Doing the right thing for all our collective stakeholders
- Respect — For ourselves, our partners, our host communities – and the environment
- Commitment — Seeing a project or challenge through to its successful conclusion
- Having Fun — Feeling passion and enthusiasm for our work drives our efforts
- Pursuit of Excellence — Striving to be the best in everything that we do
- Collaboration — Listening, sharing and working cooperatively is key to our success
- Creativity — Finding innovative solutions that stimulate positive change and growth
- Safety — Ensuring the health and safety of our people, partners and stakeholders is our top priority
For more information, please contact
416-365-9494 Ext. 233