Mutual Insurance Company – President & CEO
About the Company
Our client began by offering coverage to people who had no other choice for protection. Today, its policyholders have many choices. The company understands insurance is not where you prefer to spend your hard-earned income. However, its philosophy is simple: to make the insurance decision a human experience, in the manner and time you most need it. It’s also how our Client conducts itself within the company.
Our client is a respected and unmistakable contributor in Canada’s mutual insurance industry. It is dedicated to working with a network of like-minded Brokers throughout the greater region known as Eastern Ontario.
The firm is a full-service property and casualty insurance company segmented into five major product categories:
- Farm and Agri-Business
- Residential Property
- Commercial Property
This company has grown its direct written premium considerably over the past decade, much of which occurred organically in Eastern Ontario. Today, it stands firmly amongst the financially strongest and advanced mutual companies in Ontario, and a recognized leader in innovation amongst mutuals in Canada.
Accountable directly to the Board of Directors, the President and Chief Executive Officer is the leader in the development of company’s priorities and objectives. As the strategic visionary for the organization, the President and CEO is directly responsible for the continuous improvement of the organization's business model for the betterment of its Policyholder community. The President and CEO will establish key long-term relationships with our distribution partners, stakeholders and service providers to secure the company’s profitability and strong market position.
Delegates responsibility to match the skill and ability level of team members. Provides others with the scope and resources necessary in order to complete assignments effectively. Creates an environment where individuals have the latitude to use their discretion.
Stays calm and controlled under pressure; Maintains a consistent level of activity and performance when placed in tense situations. Can deal with ambiguity without getting disconcerted.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances; Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor's products, services and position. Is rigorous in researching data related to target markets.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Has a reputation for execution and delivery. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve/exceed them.
Recognizes when change is necessary. Challenges the status quo and champions new initiatives. Acts as a catalyst to change and stimulates others to change. Develops an effective action plan to implement change and monitors results.
- Work collaboratively with other executives and team members to define the organization's mission, vision, and values.
- Work to establish operational plans that are appropriately comprehensive, realistic and effective in achieving operational efficiency and effectiveness, and manage risk within defined areas of responsibility, or as specifically assigned.
- In conjunction with the CFO, oversee annual budgets for capital and operating expenditures within defined areas of responsibility, or as specifically assigned.
- Regularly report to the Board of Directors on the company’s status against, and ability to meet, its strategic and operational objectives.
- Keep the Board of Directors informed about business activities, potential threats, opportunities, and recommended actions.
- Secure stakeholder commitment to change and maintain open communication channels during the change process.
- Provide leadership, coaching and counseling to employees on complex financial issues as required an asset.
- knowledge of regulatory requirements of a Canadian mutual insurance company.
- Provide advice, guidance, and direction to subordinate executives and managers toward their professional development.
- Periodically review performance against targets, performing root cause analysis and initiating remedial action to address the underlying issues.
- Communicate and collaborate with departmental leaders to control spending, budgeting, reporting, and operational excellence.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with municipal, provincial, and federal government agencies, as well as professional organizations such as consultancy firms and auditors.
- Oversee the Company’s financial accountability and controls; ensure appropriate fiscal controls are in place to meet statutory compliance and integrity of data and statements.
- Establish effective partnerships with Brokers, Agents, reinsurance companies and political representatives to gain industry knowledge and trends.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with provincial, national and international associations.
- Professionally represent company in industry forums.
- Ensure industry information is shared with Board and senior management
- Acts as chief spokesman for the Company at the operational level.
- Oversee and manage the Company’s human resources and financial management.
Preferred Experience and Education
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with extensive operational management experience to operate at the most senior level within a highly respected medium-sized Canadian Mutual insurance company, which continues to make a significant impact within its industry sector. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with the Board, as well as with a highly skilled and dedicated senior leadership team.
- Demonstrated experience in all aspects of the management of a medium sized company.
- Minimum university degree in commerce or administration or equivalent, with at least 10 years of management experience and a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a senior management position, MBA an asset.
- Chartered Insurance Professional of Canada designation or equivalent experience an asset.
- A sound understanding of the general insurance industry as well as the mutual insurance industry and issues, which could impact the success of the company an asset.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach teams with a well-developed, skilled and collaborative approach.
- Deep experience in operational forecasting and fiscal management.
- Analytic and decisive decision maker with the ability to prioritize and communicate to staff key objectives and tactics necessary to achieve organizational goals.
- Ability to point to specific examples of having led organizational transformation projects and program development.
- Unwavering commitment to a collaborative work environment, quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- Ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures within a competitive and rapidly changing work environment.
- The ability to inspire, lead and empower staff to achieve their highest potential.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. A persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent public speaking skills.
- Passion, humility, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
If interested, please contact:Shehreen Rahmatullah email@example.com; 613 592 4145 x 227