Mid-Sized Technology Company - Vice President Human Resources
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a very successful mid-sized software company based in Toronto.
Scope of Position
Reporting directly to the CEO, the VP of Human Resources will be responsible for nurturing and supporting a culture that attracts, motivates and retains the firm’s human capital. This will include guiding and supporting the organization on all HR matters to meet its strategic objectives and goals for profitability and growth. In addition, this VP of Human Resources will also be responsible for overseeing the company’s legal matters as applied to the firm’s human resources.
Key responsibilities of the role:
- Partner with the senior leadership team to identify and address the critical HR needs of the organization and achieve an effective long-range HR strategy.
- Research and evaluate best-practices in Human Resources management policies, procedures, methodologies and metrics.
- Establish benchmarks for organizational effectiveness, employee performance, training and career development, health and benefits, employee relations and payroll.
- Lead the development of, and effectively manage and integrate HR policies and programs including performance reviews, succession planning, career development, performance management, goal setting and reviews, training and mentoring, employee benefits, employee handbook, etc.
- Counsel and work with senior leadership team to ensure compensation plans are competitive and promote attitudes and behaviors that support the firm’s goals and values.
- Drive initiatives to accelerate integration of new employees, align workforce around goals and priorities, and instill an HR culture of continuous improvement … while monitoring and measuring compliance and engagement.
- Work with the CEO and other senior leaders to define and effectively communicate organizational values to drive culture of service, professionalism and performance excellence
- Develop HR strategies to identify and address competency, knowledge, talent and performance gaps.
- Develop recruitment and retention strategies to attract and retain top talent.
- Assess and upgrade current training programs; launch management mentoring initiatives to support employee growth and development. Identify and stretch high potential talent.
- Field employee surveys to assess and monitor employee engagement on key initiatives such as culture.
- Create and manage employee recognition and awards programs.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific key performance measures will be discussed and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of VP of Human Resources.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Encourages others by creating enthusiasm, a feeling of investment and a desire to excel. Inspires a healthy attitude to work by recognizing positive contributions. Influence Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Negotiates skillfully and convinces others to own point of view. Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others. Mobilizes people into action.
Makes an immediate positive impression upon others. Has presence and commands respect. Comes across with force and quickly establishes credibility. Accurately predicts the effects of own words and actions. Makes an immediate positive impression upon others.
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent is highly preferred.
- 10+ years of broad-based and progressive experience in a general human resources leadership role in a fast-paced technology organization.
- Demonstrated success in leading a strategic HR function.
- Experience in communicating and presenting progressive HR strategies and plans to senior management. Ability to support ideas and plans with appropriate facts and data.
- Recognized for abilities to manage significant change of corporate cultures.
- Proven leadership and management skills with a knowledge of current industry best- practices.
- Results orientation, proactive and possessing a drive to succeed.
- Able to influence others and effect change of direction, while keeping participants fully engaged.
- Must be capable of interfacing effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Experience in privately owned mid-sized businesses.
- Strong values alignment to the company.
Remuneration & Benefits
Highly competitive compensation package tailored to the successful candidate.