Building Products - Managing Director, UK
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Headquartered in Toronto, our client is a leading innovator and supplier of recycled rubber vibration and sound control systems to the global construction industry.
Trusted by architects, builders and acoustical consultants worldwide, our client’s products provide cost-effective acoustical solutions that comply with local building requirements.
With an expanding global footprint, our client now seeks a Managing Director to expand and grow its business in the United Kingdom.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the CEO, the Managing Director, UK will oversee, mentor and grow a highly motivated team of individuals responsible for all sales, marketing and business development activities in the UK.
This position will be based in the UK and the successful individual will define and execute sales and business development strategies to expand the company’s markets, market share and improve the overall profitability of the UK business.
Acting as the company’s senior sales executive, the successful candidate will have significant input on the direction of future growth for the business while driving all top line results.
This is an outstanding opportunity that features:
- Market leading positioning
- Significant opportunity for growth
- Committed and well-funded organization
- Highly entrepreneurial corporate culture
- Manage and build business for growth
- Hire new sales engineers and administrative employees, as appropriate
- Oversee all sales employees/representatives and their project matrices
- Responsibility for meeting/exceeding regional sales budgets
- Create specific strategies to drive market growth
- Identify key contacts - engineers, architects, developers and contractors
- Identify projects that require acoustical design solutions in their buildings
- Explore and close new business opportunities
- Research and generate an active list of projects throughout the UK
- Develop technical project-specific strategies that incorporate the company’s products
- Communicate strategies with key contacts and track the project through design and construction phases
- Compete by preparing technical responses to objections
- Become a trusted advisor and resource to the construction community
- Attend networking events and tradeshows
- Host presentations and education sessions with key contacts
- Travel as necessary for job site meetings and supervision of installations
- Contribute to new product development ideas
- Through involvement in projects, identify problems the company can solve with new innovations
- Assist in bringing new products to market
- All other duties as may be assigned from time to time
Key Performance Deliverables
The following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Achievement of agreed upon sales targets and overall profitability
- Number of viable projects tracked
- Number of calls/meetings per week/month
- Number of specifications/bids generated
The competencies listed below define the role of Managing Director, UK
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Adopts an energetic approach. Works towards goals and willingly tackles demanding tasks. Demonstrates capacity for sustained effort and hard work over long periods of time, even in the face of adversity.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Gathers and interprets all available sources of information. Willing to make solid and quick decisions when necessary. Can commit to a course of action without delay when faced with limited information.
Generates new ideas. Challenges existing assumptions. Goes beyond the status quo. Recognizes the need for new or modified approaches. Brings various perspectives and approaches together, combining them in a creative fashion to implement effective improvements.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Minimum of 5-10 years of experience in technical sales/business development and at least three years in a senior sales management and leadership role
- Bachelor’s degree from a university in engineering or science with preference given to individuals also having a business degree
- Demonstrated understanding of the key drivers that affect sales through direct and indirect channels and how to use those levers to achieve desired outcomes
- Proven track record of achieving sales, retaining customers and generating profitable growth, ideally selling into the construction ecosystem
- Strong communication skills (verbal, written, persuasion and presentation) with a demonstrated ability to overcome ‘hurdles’
- Preference will be given to individuals with an energetic, positive and ‘can-do’ disposition
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive compensation package tailored to the successful candidate.