THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the company
Client is an arm’s-length foundation created by the Government of Canada which has received $1.05 billion as part of the Government’s commitment to create a healthy environment and a high quality of life for all Canadians.
Client aimed at the development and demonstration of innovative technological solutions. Client operates as a not-for-profit corporation and has been working with the public and private sector including industry, academia, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), the financial community and all levels of government to achieve this mandate.
Reporting to the Director, Screening and Evaluation, the Manager, Screening and Evaluation is responsible for assessing the validity, feasibility and performance criteria for all applications to the Sustainable Development Technology fund. Analytical and highly attuned to market realities, the Manager, Screening and Evaluation will work closely with applicants and key stakeholders to clearly define market opportunities and refine potential technologies to promote success. This position is also involved in helping applicants identify gaps and build capacity throughout the due diligence process.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
• Work with the existing Screening and Evaluation Managers in evaluating the technical and business merits of potential projects.
• Review and provide feedback for contracted projects on milestone achievements and impacts, project plans, schedules, resources and costs and summarize technical results/outcomes to the management team
• Evaluate technology performance and options and thereby integrate selection criteria with technology performance assessments
• Recognize the project’s key success indicators and ensure the project requirements and objectives are correctly gathered, understood and properly translated into the appropriate outcomes
• Work with applicants, external experts and key stakeholders on primary technical and market issues
• Manage all due diligence activities for the assigned applicants that are selected to present a detailed proposal
• Confirm and disseminate all applicable professional, technological, regulatory standards and industry guidelines applicable to the work
• Prepare evaluation results/outcomes for input to management, review committee, and Board to meet reporting requirements
• Prepare and present results and plans to key stakeholders.
• Provide technical advice and guidance to the managers of Contracts and Projects to support the ongoing success of the approved projects
• Liaise with the project’s sponsors, external experts and key stakeholders on key issues.
• Act as a consultant and advisor as required involving technical support from the necessary resources. In particular, assist applicants with Climate Change and Clean Air estimates. This includes review and assistance to applicants with environmental impact estimates i.e. Greenhouse Gas emissions reductions and/or reduction of contaminants in air, soil and water.
There will be a varying number of complex, multi-disciplinary projects in the portfolio. This position liaises and provides support to all functions of the Client team including managers of Screening & Evaluation, Applications, Contracts, Projects and senior management on technical issues relating to potential and projects approved for funding.
Travel will be expected to visit the potential and existing applicants and project sites. It will vary and is estimated at approximately 25%.
Education and Experience
• Masters degree in Sciences, Engineering or equivalent experience in the Environmental sector
• 7-12 progressive years in tech screening and evaluation processes, providing guidance and dealing with others.
• Experience in one or more of Client’s key stakeholder sectors are an asset. In particular, experience in any of the following; oil & gas production and exploration, chemical refining, renewable energy, enabling technologies, power generation, chemical and industrial processes, combustion technologies, energy efficiency and utilization, agriculture, forestry and wood paper products, waste management, water treatment, soil remediation would be beneficial.
• Knowledge of Sustainable Development, and environmental issues
• Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
• Detail oriented
• Proven ability to extract and synthesize key messages from large content of info into brief executive summaries
• Team motivation.
• Self-disciplined and goal oriented
• Proven ability to function under time pressures with multiple priorities.
• Bilingualism would be preferred.