Life Sciences Medical Research - Chief Executive Officer
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is an academic Clinical Research Organization (CRO) providing a broad range of clinical research services to pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, government agencies and academic investigators globally. Since 2013, our client has provided services to 13 of the top 20 pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies in the world.
Headquartered in Canada with offices in the United States and Europe our client offers a multidisciplinary team of experienced clinicians, biostatisticians, clinical epidemiologists, information systems specialists, project managers, data managers and clinical monitors.
Scope of Position
Our client boasts an exciting, well-articulated strategy, growing core markets, a uniquely positioned suite of service offerings, a myriad of new market opportunities, a dedicated team and committed ownership. Owning that strategy and driving its execution will be the responsibility of the Chief Executive Officer.
The successful candidate will provide visionary leadership and strategic direction to ensure the organization’s continued global expansion.
The following are key responsibilities of the role:
- Provide direction and guidance in the areas of partnerships, business development, market growth, global organizational promotion and new and emerging medical research themes.
- Initiate the development, implementation and management of divisional short and long term goals and targets that align with the organizations strategic direction.
- Oversee the organization's continuing financial and operational stability and growth, utilizing industry and risk management best practices around communications, regulatory compliance, quality assurance and partnership expansion.
- Actively promote professional, positive behaviours and support the identification and utilization of internal/external resources and infrastructure to ensure organizational goals and targets are met.
- Support business development by identifying new global business opportunities and partnerships, attending and/or participating in industry and public events, speaking engagements, bid/no bid decisions meetings and corporate business development planning sessions.
- Promote and support the organization as a global provider of Clinical Research Services.
- Act as primary liaison with the Board of Directors providing regular reports and updates on the organization's overall health, the management of risk, new and novel scientific developments and its progress in transforming and implementing organizational strategies.
- Work with the board and members of the senior management team to implement and execute the strategic direction. Activities shall include focusing the company’s existing market plans, expanding and improving market penetration, enhancing competitive positioning, driving partnering/channel development and overall strategic roadmap.
- Architect the organization ensuring that it has in place the human resources, processes and operational capabilities by which to scale and the corporate culture to outperform.
- Provide ongoing direction, performance management and developmental support to the executive team. Continue to build world-class capabilities. Focus the team to accelerate and drive the growth in revenues, new market development, sector leadership and profitability.
- Remain abreast of the industry, competitors and trends with a view to ensuring that all alliance, acquisition and investment opportunities are considered and the most attractive pursued.
- Lead the expansion of the company business and brand into new markets. Engage with strategic stakeholders in those markets.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific measures of performance will be discussed with and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of CEO
Imagines future possibilities. Selects the most promising vision from a range of alternatives and communicates this vision to others. Thinks broadly and investigates a wide-range of alternatives in developing a vision for the future.
Able to stand back from immediate problems, in order to focus on more far-reaching ideas. Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long-term organizational goals.
Industry & Market Awareness
Aware of competitor's products, services and position. Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them.
Planning & Objective Setting
Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Systematic in approach to work.
Comprehends communications from others and responds appropriately. Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner. Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience.
Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members. Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Minimum of 10 years related industry experience and at least five years as a senior executive in a CRO, pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology company.
- A driving management style, which leverages the strengths of the existing team while stretching and motivating them in attaining breakthrough results.
- Track record defined in part by an ability to consistently execute on agreed upon objectives.
- A highly intelligent, strategically minded executive with superb communication and interpersonal skills and a willingness to roll-up his/her sleeves.
- Strong sales and marketing orientation marked by a sense of urgency and a demonstrable track record of accelerating global growth.
- Preference will be given to individuals with a proven track record of success working within and scaling founder-led organizations.
- Post-graduate degree and professional designation with a strong medical and/or scientific understanding/orientation.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Competitive salary and bonus structure commensurate with experience.