Law Practice - Corporate Controller, Toronto
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
For over 150 years, our client - a prestigious Canadian law firm - has been proud to serve clients with their most difficult and complex legal matters. They are the firm of choice for discerning clients within core areas of practice including Litigation, Corporate Law, Property Law and Government Law. Within these core areas, as well as key sub-specialties, our client addresses highly sophisticated legal challenges and has represented clients in many landmark cases.
Scope of Position
Reporting directly to the CFO, the Corporate Controller is responsible for directing, coordinating, and maintaining the finance and accounting function that properly reflects the financial position of the firm. The successful candidate will monitor department procedures and make recommendations for improvements. In consultation with the CFO and other senior stakeholders, the Corporate Controller will participate with driving operational efficiency strategies.
Based in the Financial District of downtown Toronto, the Corporate Controller must be results driven within this fast-paced dynamic environment.
Specifically, the Corporate Controller will:
- Lead the Accounting team responsible for the full accounting cycle including A/P, A/R, collections, general ledger, and payroll.
- Oversee all aspects of the accounting area and ensure the month close is completed accurately per IFRS and within the monthly close cycle, including the preparation and review of all Balance Sheet account reconciliations and key accruals.
- Prepare and presents monthly financial statements to management.
- Perform other accounting, financial, or administrative tasks as may be required from time to time, on short notice from Management.
- Manage and improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the accounting and billing processes
- Develops and manages financial reporting and identifies opportunities to improve processes through automation, standardization, etc.
- Creates and presents financial analyses to evaluate firm’s performance such as identifying and reporting on metrics that drive performance against strategic priorities.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Corporate Controller:
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Negotiates skillfully and convinces others to own point of view. Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others. Mobilizes people into action.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Incorporates information about the organization's structure and protocol into decisions. Attentive to the internal politics and alert to shifting interpersonal dynamics. Establishes the necessary support networks and cross-functional relationships through rapport building. Recognizes, maintains and effectively balances the interests and needs of one's own group with those of the broader organization.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
- Accounting Designation (CPA, CA, CMA)
- 7+ years in mid-level finance or accounting experience.
- Related experience in a Law Firm preferred.
- Previous managerial experience required.
- Proven superior knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and control principles
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational, analytical, verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong decision making and time management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects/duties.
- Results driven, service oriented, self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Trustworthy with the ability to maintain highest level of integrity and trust.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Competitive compensation package to the successful candidate