Integrated Water Resource Management - Practice Lead/Director
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Comapny
Our client is a large, multidisciplinary professional services firm that delivers a comprehensive range of technical and strategic services, including consulting, information technology, engineering, process development, as well as project and construction management to the mining and metals, energy and infrastructure sectors.
Major corporations around the world recognize our client for its ability to bridge the gaps between research and innovative technologies, as well as between engineering and reliable operations. The firm places strong emphasis on developing innovative approaches, technologies and solutions that add value to its customers businesses.
For 60 years, our client has delivered unprecedented business results through a commitment to quality, lower operating costs, more efficient utilization of capital assets, higher standards for safety and risk management, faster start-ups and continuous performance improvements in all projects and programs.
Scope of Position
Access to water is rising in importance. From mining companies to municipalities, no one can afford to take the availability of water for granted. It is not enough to sustain this availability for one or two years, but instead for the entire life of a facility. Stricter regulations and pressure to recycle are adding to the imperative for an integrated approach to water management — one that spans sustainable sourcing, treatment technologies, distribution and conveyance systems, process improvement, recycle/reuse schemes, effluent treatment, environmental compliance, and more.
Our client has the know-how and technical expertise needed to help resource companies and public sector organizations take an integrated, sustainable approach to water management. Our client’s water team is multidisciplinary and composed of process, chemical, and civil engineers, hydrogeologists, geochemists, and hydrologists, as well mechanical, piping, electrical, and controls engineers. This gives our client the ability to assess the water requirements for a specific operation in their entirety and serve as a one-stop shop for designing and delivering the solutions to meet these requirements. In this way, they assist companies and public sector organizations in reaping the economic benefits of optimized water usage and treatment, as well as in meeting their overarching corporate commitments to sustainable development.
In addition, water management is inherently driven by technology. Our client’s water team has extensive expertise across a broad spectrum of leading edge water treatment technologies. Beyond understanding how these technologies work, our client’s water team differentiates itself by combining them, along with its own innovations, to create water management solutions that not only meet a company’s specific requirements, but also generate value by enhancing process efficiencies.
Our client is currently seeking a practice leader who can help drive the growth of the firm’s wet infrastructure practice in the US leveraging the firm’s differentiated technologies and solutions-based approaches to build new revenue streams and integrative approaches. Key is the ability to leverage the firm’s immense depth and breadth of expertise to develop innovative water process management and optimization strategies. Our client can deliver such projects with the know-how to design them well. The successful candidate will bring extensive relationships within the water community; ideas; a reputation for excellence and business development skills to grow this practice (large urban and industrial) in the US.
- Work with the senior management team to refine, develop and implement the strategic direction for the Integrated Water Resource Management practice. This will include focusing the strategic road map and existing market plans, expanding and improving market penetration, and enhancing competitive positioning.
- Work closely with the myriad organization-wide practice and customers to identify and anticipate opportunities the cut across each.
- Ensure that organizational capacity is in place by which to deliver on plans.
- Provide ongoing direction, performance management and developmental support to the team. Continue to build world-class capabilities. Focus the team to accelerate and drive the growth of the business, new market development, sector leadership and profitability.
- Ensure that the Integrated Water Resource Management practice is fully aligned with the objectives and direction of the broader infrastructure group.
- Aligning the culture, values, metrics and governance of the Integrated Water Resource Management practice to those of the overall organization.
- Report regularly and proactively to the Senior VP on results and plans going forward.
- Champion the group's interests to major customers and internal stakeholders.
- Lead the expansion of the practice and brand into new customers. Engage with strategic stakeholders in those customers.
- Remaining abreast of the industry, competitors and trends with a view to ensuring that the firm's services best align to market needs. Ensure that all alliance, acquisition and investment opportunities are considered and the most attractive pursued.
- Serve as an ambassador for the group representing it at conferences, speaking engagements, and other external industry related events.
- Where possible leverage relationships and projects to the benefit of other divisions and the organization as a whole.
Drive growth of the firm’s integrative approach.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific measures of performance will be discussed with and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Practice Lead/Director - Integrated Water Resource Management
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Imagines future possibilities. Thinks broadly and investigates a wide-range of alternatives in developing a vision for the future. Selects the most promising vision from a range of alternatives and communicates this vision to others.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Negotiates skillfully and convinces others to own point of view. Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others. Mobilizes people into action.
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers'/clients' needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor's products, services and position.
Incorporates information about the organization's structure and protocol into decisions. Attentive to the internal politics and alert to shifting interpersonal dynamics. Establishes the necessary support networks and cross-functional relationships through rapport building. Recognizes, maintains and effectively balances the interests and needs of one's own group with those of the broader organization.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in wet infrastructure
- Proven experience in creatively applying integrative solutions to solving problems
- Experience working in municipal markets
- Experience in growing a P&L
- Strong business development orientation
- Credibility gained via a sustained track record of project delivery
- Track record as a builder
- A highly intelligent, strategically minded executive with superb communication and interpersonal skills and a willingness to roll-up his/her sleeves.
- Strong team orientation well-suited to building consensus in a global concern.
Experience in building and managing distributed teams of professionals
Remuneration & Benefits
Highly competitive, unique compensation package to the successful candidate