Innovator Engineered Building Products - Chief Financial Officer
About the company
Headquartered in the Greater Toronto Area and with operations globally, our client is a leading innovator and supplier of recycled rubber vibration and sound control systems to the global construction industry.
Trusted by architects, builders and acoustical consultants worldwide, our client’s products provide cost-effective acoustical solutions that comply with local building requirements.
Led by a highly dynamic and entrepreneurial leadership team and with an expanding global footprint, our client is ideally positioned to continue exploiting a growing and significant market opportunity. To this end, our client now seeks to bring on-board a proven Chief Financial Officer.
Scope of Position
As an integral member of the senior Leadership Team the CFO shall provide financial guidance and counsel on all matters relating to the finance function including strategic business planning, budgeting and forecasting, business analysis, and corporate growth strategies.
Reporting to the CEO, the CFO shall be responsible for the achievement of the organization’s strategic financial goals by working with the Leadership Team to develop and plan the goals, objectives and strategies of the company and to execute these plans with discipline and operational efficiencies achieving best in class status.
- Provide hands-on leadership, guidance, mentorship and performance management to the finance staff in the organization.
- Ensure that finance organization is structured and sized, so as to be optimally aligned to the needs of the business.
- Working with and supporting the CEO as may be appropriate with any ongoing fundraising activities while managing the company’s cash effectively.
- Oversee and manage the accounting, tax, insurance, all financial reporting, budgeting, forecasting and reconciliations along with preparation of financial statements and cash flow projections, ensuring that the interests of all stakeholders are served.
- Manage relationship with audit firm for annual audit/income tax activities and all related matters.
- Leverage a detailed understanding of 'what's driving the numbers' to act as a key strategic and operational contributor to the overall growth of the business.
- Ensure appropriate internal controls are developed and in place for the benefit of all stakeholders and the more efficient operation of the business.
- Effectively manage the company’s cash and position and drive any supplementary initiatives deemed necessary by the company
- Serve as a champion for enterprise excellence and the maximizing of value creation.
- Ensure all stakeholders including lenders and financial institutions are kept up to date on all relevant financial matters in a timely manner.
- Remain informed about the business, put measurements and reporting dashboards into place enabling real time assessment of performance and 'what's over the horizon'.
- Ensure that IT is not only aligned to the needs of the business but enables its growth.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Chief Financial Officer
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization's total expenses and revenues.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Team Skills & People Management
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables
- A minimum of 8-12 years of senior financial management experience with day-to-day financial operations and oversight; ideally with a CA designation.
- Preference will be given to individuals with manufacturing or industrial experience.
- Track record of dealing with issues of scaling and growth of mid-sized private enterprises.
- Experience working in fast-paced, founder-led, dynamic environments.
- An analytical, detail oriented, team player with a proactive, “own it, solve it” mindset.
- The ability to lead, communicate clearly and articulately, monitor and express strategy to both internal and external stakeholders
- The ability to put value creation into perspective and know what makes the business tick
- Experience with public markets, M&A transactions and post-acquisition integration will be a definite asset.
Remuneration & Benefits
- A competitive compensation package commensurate with experience will be discussed with serious and qualified candidates.
For more information please contact: