Infrastructure Sector – Director / VP of Finance
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our Toronto-based client is one of Canada’s leading infrastructure suppliers. In business for over 50 years, the firm provides services to the oil, gas and municipal sectors across North America. With revenues in excess of $300mm and over 1000 employees the firm continues to grow.
Scope of Position
Supporting and enabling continued growth will be the mandate of the Director/VP of Finance.
Reporting to the company President, the Director/VP of Finance is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day financial function for the company and reporting on those matters in a timely and accurate fashion. In addition the Director Finance will have responsibility for evaluating and impacting the effectiveness of company systems and controls on a wide range of processes supporting the company's tactical and strategic initiatives and planning.
- Lead the budgeting and auditing processes for the company
- As part of the senior management team, contribute to the overall management of the firm
- Act as business partner to the President and business line managers in providing guidance and counsel on strategic issues
- Provide leadership, guidance and mentorship to the finance staff in the organization
- Ensure that the financial practices and processes of the organization are efficient and responsive to the needs of the business
- Work with the business line managers to maintain relevant KPIs and metrics and ensure that the processes that are in place provide timely and accurate information
- Lead overall financial activities including banking, financing, joint ventures, M&A etc.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the company's operational plan and strategic business plan with the executive management team
- Oversee and manage the accounting, tax, insurance, audit, budget, credit and treasury functions
- Report on the company's financials (i.e. P&L, Balance sheet, cash flow etc.) to the executive management team and owners
- Manage the company's cash flows
- Oversee Account Receivables
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific measure of performance will be discussed with and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Director/VP Finance
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough
knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and
keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
|Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps
for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops
plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints,
milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs,
profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on
the organization's total expenses and revenues.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support.
Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner. Written and oral arguments are compelling
and responsive to the needs of the audience. Comprehends communications from others and
Incorporates information about the organization's structure and protocol into decisions. Attentive
to the internal politics and alert to shifting interpersonal dynamics. Establishes the necessary
support networks and cross-functional relationships through rapport building. Recognizes, maintains
and effectively balances the interests and needs of one's own group with those of the broader
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Negotiates skillfully and convinces
others to own point of view. Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others.
Mobilizes people into action.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances.
Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals.
Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
|Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments.
Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Fifteen or more years or progressive financial management experience
- Experience with project-based industries would be an asset
- A combination of experiences including reporting, analysis, forecasting and budgeting
- Undergraduate degree in business or commerce coupled with an appropriate accounting designation (CA, CGA, CMA)
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive base salary and variable package.