Industrial Services - Global Head of IT, Toronto
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a Canadian industrial services firm that delivers a comprehensive range of technical and strategic services, including consulting, engineering, process development, project and construction management to various industrial sectors. The firm is well established, highly regarded and global.
Our client is widely recognized for its ability to bridge the gaps between research and innovative technologies, and between engineering and reliable operations. The firm is particularly known for working with senior client management to develop business strategies; managing and optimizing production; executing projects that involve the scale-up of process technologies; and managing start-ups, commissioning and ramp-ups.
Our client delivers unprecedented business results for its clients through a commitment to quality, lower operating costs, more efficient utilization of capital assets, higher standards for safety and risk management, faster start-ups and continuous performance improvements in all projects and programs.
Scope of Position
Our client is currently seeking a highly accomplished individual to lead and drive its global IT organization.
The Global Head of IT is responsible for all aspects of developing and implementing enterprise corporate and project systems, ensuring adherence to cybersecurity standards and, aligning with other senior leaders. The Global Head of IT is responsible for and supports process improvement initiatives within the organization as well as the adoption of new and innovative technology solutions. In addition to providing strategic direction to the leadership team and to leaders across the business, the Global Head of IT oversees the staff and operations of multiple units within the business including external Client Deliverables, Infrastructure, Enterprise Applications, Project Delivery Applications, and Operations.
As the ideal candidate, you bring significant, senior IT leadership experience combined with an in-depth understanding of the operations of a multidisciplinary consultancy and engineering firm. The ideal candidate has a Masters level in Information Technology, Science, Business Administration, or related field. The ideal candidate will have the ability to understand complex systems but has business acumen, team leadership skills, and exceptional interpersonal and communication abilities that have enabled their success throughout their career.
The ideal candidate is skillful in articulating a clear vision for the information management systems of a large, complex, global organization with multiple stakeholders and is able to implement strategies to move the organization forward. With personal values such as honesty, inclusiveness, integrity, transparency and trust, the ideal candidate has shown an ability to foster diversity and inclusiveness within their teams.
Of particular interest, our client seeks to continue developing best-in-class suite of “Lean” tools to enable significant productivity gains in all aspects of large and small project delivery. This is necessary to keep pace with competitors, who are investing significantly in transformative design and information systems to reduce the non-recurring design costs and to reduce CAPEX spend. Key areas to be addressed include:
- Virtual Project Toolkit - An integrated, multi-disciplined, data centric solutions and tools and a common data platform for collaborative, paperless, streamlined design and development execution.
- Digital Procurement Suite - This will include a collaborative platform integrating the “digital asset” and engineering data to enable complete e-procurement, invoicing & payment.
- Information Management Suite – A singular source for trusted, verified and fully integrated project data to reduce costs and increase efficiency
- BIM 4-7D – From the simulation of full schedule and cost parameters though to the integration of operational data to allow modeling, simulation and advanced analytics to optimize plant operations through the identification and correction of process inefficiencies.
The position will ideally be based in the firm’s Toronto offices.
- Manage, lead and develop the systems and technology team
- Develop strategic plans identifying digital solutions and technology applications to support business strategy and plans
- Stay ahead of advancements and changes in technology that can provide our organization with a competitive advantage
- Drive overall client delivery strategy beyond the day-to-day oversight working closing with the market unit leaders
- Participate as an active member of the Senior Management team in the development of an overall corporate strategy to support both internal and client requirements
- Develop and implement strategic and operational plans and actions to ensure that facilities and systems, procedures, staffing, support services and capacity are available when needed to fulfill both internal and client demand and at required levels
- Assist in developing the company's annual technology and service delivery plan and manage areas of responsibility within operational and capital budgets
- Direct the design, development and maintenance of systems, programs and software to streamline operations and meet the needs of the organization
- Analyze the costs, value and risk of information technology to advise management and recommend specific actions
- Budget and approve purchases of technology equipment and software
- Develop partnerships with suppliers
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific performance measures will be discussed with and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Global Head of IT:
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them. Stays ahead of the noise and sets the tone and agenda daily to drive the management team and employees towards the company’s goals.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers'/clients' needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Makes an immediate positive impression upon others. Has presence and commands respect. Comes across with force and quickly establishes credibility. Accurately predicts the effects of own words and actions. Makes an immediate positive impression upon others.
Recognizes when change is necessary; Challenges the status quo and champions new initiatives; Acts as a catalyst to change and stimulates others to change; Develops an effective action plan to implement change and monitors results.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles; Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment; Imagines future possibilities. Thinks broadly and investigates a wide-range of alternatives in developing a vision for the future. Selects the most promising vision from a range of alternatives and communicates this vision to others.
Proactive; Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately; Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables:
- A degree in computer science, engineering or relevant field
- 10 plus years of experience leading a global information technology team
- 5 plus years of experience working for a multi-national firm in a global leadership role
- Strong project management experience including software system implementation or conversion
- Experience developing a strategy and making systems and infrastructure decisions
- A proven track record of strong leadership is mandatory
- Superior decision making and analytical abilities
- Broad experience being accountable for computer networks, equipment, software and cloud based infrastructure and solutions
- Preference will be given to someone with managing large transformation ERP programs
- An influencing style with experience in change management
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive, unique compensation package to the successful candidate