Industrial - General Manager, Toronto
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Owned by a large US corporation, our client is an industry leading design and manufacturing company partnered with a comprehensive network of full service distributors located around the globe. Our client is a proven leader in engineered capital equipment. Over the years, our client's innovations have redefined and expanded the "market accepted" capabilities of equipment in its field.
Scope of Position
The General Manager will be responsible for the overall P&L, balance sheet and cash flow for the company. The successful incumbent will direct and coordinate all activities associated with the successful implementation of the annual business plan and the long term strategic plan.
- Administer and implement corporate programs as assigned, including but not limited to overall safety, quality and IT objectives.
- Participate in formulating and administering company policies, directing and coordinating all divisional department activities to develop and implement long range goals and objectives to meet business and profitability growth objectives.
- Develop annual business plan defining financial and developmental objectives for business unit for the coming year. Business plan is completed in the fall. Performance to plan is reported on a monthly basis and revised quarterly.
- Ensure that all operational activities are performed in compliance with all safety nd environmental regulations. Measure and report metrics based upon safety and/or injury.
- Reviews analyses of activities, costs, operations and forecast data to determine department or division progress toward stated goals and objectives.
- Confers with corporate president of manufacturing operations and other administrative personnel to review achievements and discuss required changes or objectives resulting from current status and conditions.
- Travels frequently, potentially overseas, to confer with customers, suppliers, industry associations and corporate personnel in the support of short and long term objectives.
- Develops, reviews, updates and implements business strategic planning including sales, financial performance and new product development.
- Oversees manufacturing and materials departments to review production and operating reports and resolve operational, manufacturing, and facility problems to ensure minimum costs and prevent operational delays and to meet future growth.
- Oversee key projects, processes, and performance reports, data and analysis.
- Review and support engineering and sales to oversee design concepts with fundamental or new technology used for new or existing products or improvement to provide cost reduction, safety, customer requirements and market growth.
- Reviews operations and plans to meet requirements for sales planning and to ascertain manufacturing or outsourcing requirements to develop new markets.
- Reviews and approves preparation of accounting analysis: for budgetary planning and implementation, production efficiency, financial reporting, budgetary planning and submittal for capital expenditures.
- Manages and directs staff management in engineering, quality, materials, manufacturing, HR and IT.
- Possesses direct and dotted line management of sales activities. Possesses dotted line management of financial management.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific performance goals will be agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of General Manager
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Strives for excellence in products, processes and/or services through continued evaluation, enhancement and redefinition of quality standards.
Recognizes when change is necessary. Challenges the status quo and champions new initiatives. Acts as a catalyst to change and stimulates others to change. Develops an effective action plan to implement change and monitors results.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization's total expenses and revenues.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers'/clients' needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Bachelor's degree and ten years related experience and/or training.
- Proven experience in managing manufacturing operations preferably in capital equipment systems or components.
- Additional experience in driving revenue growth
Remuneration & Benefits
- Competitive base and variable compensation package