THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a leader in electronic recycling / reverse logistics business. They are an approved recycling processor under all existing provincial stewardship programs. They operates a number of facilities across the country. The company is dedicated to ensuring the secure, transparent and environmentally friendly recycling of electronics on behalf of governments, municipalities, OEMs and enterprises. The company is headquartered in Toronto.
Scope of Position
This position reports directly to the President & CEO, which reflects the strong emphasis placed on the Human Resources function by the CEO and the Board. This Human Resources Lead will be responsible for the effective management of all human resource functions. This will include directing all matters relating to policies, procedures, recruitment, labour and employee relations, legal, organizational development, technical training, and health and safety in support of this rapidly expanding (300+ employees presently) company.
Most importantly, the HR Lead will be accountable for leading the development of innovative HR concepts in areas such as Core Competencies, career development and coaching. The position will also play a key role as the Company expands internationally.
Key responsibilities of the role:
• Develop and implement high level Human Resources concepts and tools (Core Competencies, Career Development processes, etc.).
• Working within the overall business plan, to formulate and champion the HR vision, mandate and strategies.
• Coach and Advise management and employees on personnel activities.
• Ensure deployment of personnel corporate policies and procedures.
• Develop effective recruitment practices, and function as a key player in the recruitment and hiring of staff, enabling the company to attract high performance employees.
• Help to build and maintain employee morale and enable the organization to increase its capacity for change.
• Provide coaching and offers guidance to Leads on issues concerning retention and potential terminations.
• Identify legal requirements and government regulations and ensure compliance.
• Coordinate corporate organizational development programs.
• Manage technical training activities across the operations.
• Coordinate health and safety programs.
• Maintain pay equity and salary administration procedures.
• Interpret agreements and participate in labour relations.
• Formulate and recommend personnel guidelines for the company.
• Have sufficient controls and metrics in place to manage costs.
• Prepare reports on request.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
• Take the Core Competency Model that has been developed, revise and improve it, then extend it to all salary roles in the Company.
• Develop a consistent labour policy across all of the manufacturing plants.
• Prepare (with the support of the CEO) and present to the Executive Team an HR strategic plan that clearly identifies key priorities.
• Have demonstrated the ability to be a true “trusted advisor” to Leads in all functions in the area of leading people.
• Learn the company’s business and industry to the extent he/she can put the HR activities into context.
The following competencies listed below define the role of the Human Resources Lead:
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Developing & Coaching Others
Accurately assesses strengths and development needs of employees. Challenges others to improve their abilities and actively supports their development. Continually provides timely and constructive feedback, coaching and challenging learning opportunities. Adjusts coaching style based on each employee's ability and motivation level.
Encourages others by creating enthusiasm, a feeling of investment and a desire to excel. Inspires a healthy attitude to work by recognizing positive contributions.
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Interpersonal Understanding & Sensitivity
Accurately predicts others' reactions to events. Displays concern and respect for individuals' feelings and opinions. Understands others' attitudes, interests and needs. Takes time to listen to others' problems.
Incorporates information about the organization's structure and protocol into decisions. Attentive to the internal politics and alert to shifting interpersonal dynamics. Establishes the necessary support networks and cross-functional relationships through rapport building. Recognizes, maintains and effectively balances the interests and needs of one's own group with those of the broader organization.
Makes an immediate positive impression upon others. Has presence and commands respect. Comes across with force and quickly establishes credibility. Accurately predicts the effects of own words and actions. Makes an immediate positive impression upon others.
Strives for excellence in products, processes and/or services through continued evaluation, enhancement and redefinition of quality standards.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
• 5-10 years of broad-based and progressive experience in a general human resources leadership role in industrial environments.
• Ability to communicate in French is a definite asset.
• Demonstrated success in leading a strategic HR function.
• Proven leadership and management skills with a knowledge of current industry best-practices.
• Must be capable of interfacing at all levels of the organization.
• Able to grow the HR function as required and to work effectively in a fast-paced culture and able to deal with the pressures of a rapidly growing environment.
• Capable of accelerated personal development, able to handle personal promotions.
Remuneration & Benefits
• Competitive base salary.
• Incentive bonus plan.
• Company benefits program.