Government - Director, Business Solutions Delivery
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a well-known federal Crown corporation.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the Head of Business Solutions Delivery, the Director Business Solution Delivery is accountable for the leadership and coaching of a direct and extended team to deliver multiple, concurrent Business Technology Solutions for multiple lines of business. As an ideal candidate you bring broad IT change leadership and extensive large scale transformation project delivery experience.
The Director plays a crucial role in building long-term partner relationships, and in developing, shaping and governing multiple concurrent projects in a portfolio context. He/she is expected to understand corporate, business and IT strategies and align and shape portfolio activities to achieve business objectives in a timely and cost effective manner. The Director is expected to guide and apply sound fiscal management, identify, assess and mitigate portfolio risks, and ensure that the appropriate resourcing levels and skills are available to meet portfolio project timelines. This involves a matrix resource delivery model utilizing capacity planning and skill gap analysis, then provisioning through a combination of permanent, contract, consultant resources as well as partnerships with third party vendors and service providers. The Director leads, motivates and develops a team of over 25 IT professionals, and is responsible to create and foster an environment of continuous improvement for solution delivery processes and business innovation.
Scope of Position
- Leadership, coaching and performance management of a direct and extended team of over 25 technology professionals across multiple professions and IT disciplines (Project Management, Business Analysis, System Analyst, and Quality Assurance) and other roles as required.
- Participate in the development of IT departmental strategy and initiatives and co-lead the development of Business Solution Delivery strategy and plans. Ensure team objectives and plans are created and aligned.
- Fosters a productive and energized work environment, influences others to create a culture that motivates, challenges and supports team members in their personal development and delivery of solutions.
- Accountable for people management of direct reports and team; Key people management responsibilities include: • Performance management • Recruitment and Development
- Develop and evolve long term relationships with business partners and technology vendors to identify, plan and deliver high value business solutions.
- Participate in strategic business and technology planning and ensure alignment of portfolio plans and projects with the business and IT strategic goals.
- In partnership with business leaders, establish, maintain, execute a portfolio plan that includes up to 20 concurrent projects, and a multi-million dollar capital budget.
- Collaborate with business and technology partners to implement solutions that are delivered on time, on budget, with quality and per sponsor expectations and Service Level Agreements.
- Provide transformational project advice and guidance to Tier 1 transformational projects for success
- Develop and execute a Business Solution Delivery Sourcing Strategy and work force plan to ensure appropriate technology skills, capabilities and platforms are available for Portfolio demands: • Collaborate with IT Portfolio Management to build and maintain the forecasted view of portfolio and project demands. • Partner with delivery leaders to ensure that the associated skills and capabilities are in place to execute solutions. This may be done through internal skill deployment, sourcing external contracts, through the procurement and negotiation of consulting, vendor delivery and or through managed services.
- Dynamically manage the ongoing assignment of internal resources to maximize business value while balancing career development and knowledge management needs.
- Develop and improve vendor relationships and processes including vendor selection, negotiation, contracting, and performance management
- Optimize delivery capability by identifying opportunities to engage and adopt managed services capacity where appropriate.
- Champion, lead and/or participate in the continuous improvement of delivery practice areas including Project Management, Vendor Management, Business Analysis, Development Discipline, Quality Assurance and Application Support.
- Support, encourage and model the progression of improved financial discipline
- Participate and lead department wide key performance and process improvements
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific measures of performance will be discussed and agreed upon with the successful candidate
The following competencies listed below define the role of - Director, Business Solutions Delivery at our client
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Developing & Coaching Others
Accurately assesses strengths and development needs of employees. Challenges others to improve their abilities and actively supports their development. Continually provides timely and constructive feedback, coaching and challenging learning opportunities. Adjusts coaching style based on each employee's ability and motivation level.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers'/clients' needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Preferred Experience / Education
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- 10 years leadership experience in large scale project delivery and recent experience as a leader of leaders.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration or other related field or equivalent work experience
- Strong change leadership, motivational, teamwork and problem solving
- Transformation business solution delivery leadership
- Strategic thinking/planning, proactive project and portfolio planning
- Collaboration and Communication skills
- Senior consulting skills (facilitation, influencing, diagnosis, conflict resolution, negotiation)
- Proven performance management experience including objective setting, performance rating and feedback, coaching and team development
- Project management and IT project governance skills with the ability to initiate and successfully execute multiple interdependent projects from concept to completion
- IT Vendor lifecycle experience including selection, contracting, performance management and risk mitigation
- Sound financial planning, budgeting, and reporting management including Application Portfolio Management
- Agile, Lean, Continuous improvement concepts and application
- Strong preference will be given to bilingual candidates (English & French)
- Membership in a recognized project management association, or project management accreditation
- Competitive base plus variable to the successful candidate.