Global Director Supply Chain Management
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a large, multidisciplinary professional services firm that delivers a comprehensive range of technical and strategic services, including consulting, information technology, engineering, process development, as well as project and construction management to various large, international industrial sectors.
Major corporations around the world recognize our client for its ability to bridge the gaps between research and innovative technologies, as well as between engineering and reliable operations. The firm places strong emphasis on developing innovative approaches, technologies and solutions that add value to its customers’ businesses.
For over 50 years, our client has delivered unprecedented business results through a commitment to quality, lower operating costs, more efficient utilization of capital assets, higher standards for safety and risk management, faster start-ups and continuous performance improvements in all projects and programs.
Scope of Position
As the Global Director of Supply Chain Management, you will have widespread experience in supply chain management, materials management and construction contracts administration. You will be responsible for the overall procurement strategy for a global EPCM company. In addition, you will be identifying and evolving best practices and transforming the global team from one that is focused on buying equipment and materials to one that is focused on all aspects of material management, traffic and logistics, buying, negotiating, quality assurance, contract formation, contract administration and closure.
Maintaining relationships with key stakeholders in and outside the organization, you and your team will play a key role in project teams. Your team will be responsible for coordinating the whole supply chain for projects. At a strategic level, you will work with engineering and construction teams to determine the materials and equipment vendor package strategy, package list, sourcing plan including recommended bidders list, types and styles of contracts, logistics plan and schedule these packages. You will also work with the construction team to determine the on-site and off-site construction and services contracting strategy, package list, sourcing plans, including pre-qualification processes and recommended bidders list, types and styles of contracts and schedule and track these packages.
At the operations level, your team will be responsible for drafting high quality tender and contract documents with the legal team often working with the client governance policies and procedures. In regions where local requirements need to dominate for practical reasons, you will apply knowledge and expertise to assist the local business units in strategy development, tender execution, and contract negotiation.
As the leader, you will be required to recruit the required staff to work on all of the projects, provide mentorship and training and development, and provide technical and professional knowledge. You should demonstrate a good understanding of key commercial risks in procurement, be knowledgeable of and able to apply procurement and contract best practices effectively, demonstrate industry and market insights, and have a track record of being able to work with any client requirement such as governance, confidentiality, ethical standards and local as well as community sourcing requirements.
The position is based in Toronto, Canada.
- Lead and manage the global procurement practice
- Develop and maintain best practices, processes and procedures for the supply chain management practice.
- Plan, lead and execute strategies on large projects
- Drive cost savings through continuous improvement process
- Develop and maintain positive, productive, proactive relationships with a wide variety of suppliers, clients and internal customers.
- Champion the group's interests to internal stakeholders.
- Ensure that organizational capacity is in place by which to deliver on plans.
- Provide ongoing direction, performance management and developmental support to the team. Build world-class capabilities. Focus the team to accelerate and drive the practice.
- Ensure that the Supply Chain Management practice is fully aligned with the objectives and direction of the broader company.
- Align the local culture, values, metrics and governance of the supply chain management practice to those of the overall organization.
- Report regularly and proactively to the Global projects leader on results and plans going forward.
- Remaining abreast of the industry, competitors and trends with a view to ensuring that the firm's services best align to market needs.
- Serve as an ambassador for the group representing it at conferences, speaking engagements, and other external industry related events.
- Drive growth of the firm’s integrative approach.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
Specific measures of performance will be discussed with and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of - Director Supply Chain at our client.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization's total expenses and revenues.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Draws parallels across situations and contexts; Divides problems into their individual elements; Develops several explanations or alternatives; Separates the core of a problem from its symptoms and can identify cause and effect.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor's products, services and position.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision; revises strategy in light of changing circumstances; Takes a long term view of organizational success; Works to clarify long term organizational goals; Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Minimum of 15 years of related experience in complex supply chain management
- Top ethical standards
- Experience in the whole supply chain and materials management process
- Successful experience in growing a P&L
- Team player at executive levels to collaborate with business units and functional partners like engineering, construction, project management, IT, Finance, HR, Legal etc.
- Credibility gained via a sustained track record of project delivery
- Track record of success
- A highly intelligent, strategically minded executive with superb communication and interpersonal skills and a willingness to roll-up his/her sleeves.
- Solid operational management and general business skills and savvy
- Industry knowledge in terms of broad industry dynamics on the buy side (and the sell side).
- Experience with modern sourcing and procurement systems
- Familiarity with relevant legislative and regulatory requirements, as well as understanding of standard contractual terms and conditions to mitigate legal risk.
- Strategic mindset and problem solving skills
Remuneration & Benefits
- Attractive, highly competitive compensation package for the successful candidate