Venture Capital - Financial Specialist - Toronto
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a global leader in clean technology venture capital. Founded in 2000, the company is a pioneer in the rapidly emerging clean technology sector and is focused exclusively on innovative technologies in energy, advanced materials and water. Our client manages one of the largest clean technology venture portfolios across Europe and North America. Investors include leading financial institutions and multinational corporations.
Scope of Position
Our client is seeking to add a Financial Specialist to the team. Based in the company’s Toronto office, the individual will be a key member of interdisciplinary project teams. The successful candidate will evaluate and assess new investment opportunities and make recommendations on whether or not to invest. Subsequently s/he will be an integral member of the investment team to see transactions through to completion and thereafter working with portfolio companies to achieve operational and strategic objectives.
• Financial assessment of potential investments including financial projections, due diligence, valuations.
• Proposing investments, as part of the deal team.
• Supporting portfolio companies with reporting, market information, financing rounds.
• Monitoring investments including investor reporting.
• Structuring of investment transactions.
• Driving portfolio exits (IPOs and trade sales).
The candidate will be required to travel on a short notice.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Financial Specialist, VC
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles; Understands financial projections, cost structure analysis, valuations, transaction structuring and syndication; Appreciates the commercial impact of ones work from the perspective of both the investor and investee.
Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner in English; Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience; Comprehends communications from others and responds appropriately.
Gathers and interprets all available sources of information; willing to make solid and quick decisions when necessary; can commit to a course of action without delay when faced with limited information.
Proactive; Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately; Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively; Negotiates skilfully and convinces others to own point of view; Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others; Mobilizes people into action.
Able to undertake multiple tasks/projects simultaneously and produce high quality analysis within constrained time-frames; Able to prioritize workload and competing objectives, maintaining a consistent level of activity and performance when under pressure.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met; Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure; Aims to improve upon past performance; Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
• An MBA or CFA with an undergraduate degree in accounting or finance.
• A minimum of five years experience in financial assessment of companies and execution of M&A transactions within an international environment, preferably in investment banking or corporate M&A.
• A network within the investment banking and M&A community (preferably industrial technology).
• The talent to quickly understand complex issues and structure thoughts systematically.
• A detail oriented mind while remaining focused on the essential issues, and communicating conclusions concisely and convincingly.
• A self-starter who can integrate into their multinational team.
• A very high level of commitment and flexibility.
Remuneration & Benefits
• Competitive base salary + performance bonus and benefits package