Financial Services: Vice President Finance - Chief Accountant
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Headquartered in Toronto our client is a leading Canadian public company that acquires businesses with exceptional potential for value creation through strategic and transformational initiatives.
As an alternative asset manager our client works closely with the senior management teams of the businesses it acquires, empowering them to pursue value creating trajectories.
Led by a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial and proven leadership team our client has unlimited market opportunities.
Scope of Position
To capitalize on its market opportunity, our client seeks to bring on a senior finance executive in the role of Vice President, Finance / Chief Accountant.
The successful individual will contribute to the growth and profitability of the business while maintaining and adhering to the operational requirements through the finance function.
Reporting to the company’s Chief Financial Officer, the Vice President, Finance / Chief Accountant will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day financial function and reporting on those matters in a timely and accurate fashion. This individual will be accustomed to dealing with complex reporting issues and be a strong resource for various internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage the company’s financial planning and budget processes and provide financial guidance and counsel for strategic and tactical activities as required
- Oversee the accounting function, consisting of the preparation and dissemination of accurate and timely financial information including, but not limited to, internal and external financial reporting, consolidated financial statements, management reports, MD&A in compliance with all regulatory requirements, as appropriate.
- Ensure that effective processes and adequate controls are in place both at the corporate level and within each investee company for timely data collection of all elements required to produce necessary financial statements
- Lead the development, implementation, maintenance, and enhancements of internal financial controls, policies, procedures, processes, and systems, as well as internal/external audits
- Assist team members with using existing, and developing new, metrics to measure performance, and ensures systems and processes are in place to provide timely and accurate information to support them
- Liase and collaborate with all financial and other stakeholders in investee companies to ensure that they are receiving all necessary guidance and support as well as reporting in a timely and accurate fashion
- Work in cooperation with all stakeholders to maintain relevant KPIs and metrics and ensure that the processes that are in place provide timely and accurate information
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the company’s operational plan and strategic business plan with the executive management team
- Responsible for developing all accounting policies and providing guidance on all complex technical accounting issues and all fund reporting.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Vice President, Chief Accountant:
Adopts an energetic approach. Works towards goals and willingly tackles demanding tasks. Demonstrates capacity for sustained effort and hard work over long periods of time, even in the face of adversity.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Draws parallels across situations and contexts. Divides problems into their individual elements. Develops several explanations or alternatives. Separates the core of a problem from its symptoms and can identify cause and effect.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor's products, services and position.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Bachelor Degree in Finance, Commerce or Administration with CA or equivalent designation;
- A minimum of 12-15 years of progressive, hands-on experience in financial management with increasing responsibilities for multi-faceted direction and planning
- Experience working in highly entrepreneurial, fast-paced and demanding environments
- Experience working in a publicly traded company with fund reporting experience
- An analytical, detail oriented, team player that adapts well to change
- Ability to work independently and multi-task under pressure
- Deep understanding of complex accounting issues with an ability to provide sound, solution oriented analysis
- Exhibits high standards of business and personal ethical conduct
Remuneration & Benefits
- A generous compensation package commensurate with experience will be discussed with serious and qualified candidates.