Financial Services - Vice President, Accounting Finance
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Headquartered in Toronto and with operations throughout North America our client is a highly successful financial services company that is well positioned to continue its explosive growth and success.
Led by a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial and proven leadership team our client is publicly traded and has built a values driven organization that has exceeded its performance targets.
With more than $4 billion of assets under management our client will more than double its size over the next 12-18 months.
Scope of Position
To capitalize on the Company’s market opportunity, our client seeks to bring on a senior accounting executive in the role of Vice President, Accounting Finance.
The Vice President, Accounting Finance will contribute to the profitability of the Company while maintaining and adhering to the operational requirements through the reporting function. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the executive will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day financial function for the company and reporting on those matters in a timely and accurate fashion. In addition, the candidate will have responsibility for evaluating and impacting the effectiveness of company systems and controls on a wide range of processes supporting the company's tactical and strategic initiatives and planning. This individual will be accustomed to dealing with complex reporting issues and be a strong internally facing influencer within the organization.
- Manage the corporation's financial planning and budget processes and provides business and financial guidance and counsel for strategic and tactical activities as required
- Oversee all accounting functions ensuring the accurate and timely dissemination of financial information including, but not limited to, internal and/or external monthly financial statements, management reports, in compliance with US GAAP/IFRS and Sarbanes Oxley, as appropriate for subsidiaries of a public company
- Interpret the corporation's operating results and recommends improvements as appropriate
- Lead the development, implementation, maintenance, and enhancements of internal financial controls, policies, procedures, processes, and systems, as well as internal/external audits
- Provide leadership, guidance and mentorship to the finance staff in the organization
- Ensure that the financial practices and processes of the organization are efficient and responsive to the needs of the business
- Assist team members with using existing, and developing new, metrics to measure performance, and ensures systems and processes are in place to provide timely and accurate information to support them
- Recruits, train, supervise, and evaluate department staff
- Work with the business line managers to maintain relevant KPIs and metrics and ensure that the processes that are in place provide timely and accurate information
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the company's operational plan and strategic business plan with the executive management team
- Report on the company's financials (i.e. P&L, Balance sheet, cash flow etc.) to the executive management team and owners
The following competencies listed below define the role of Vice President, Accounting Finance:
Adopts an energetic approach. Works towards goals and willingly tackles demanding tasks. Demonstrates capacity for sustained effort and hard work over long periods of time, even in the face of adversity.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Draws parallels across situations and contexts. Divides problems into their individual elements. Develops several explanations or alternatives. Separates the core of a problem from its symptoms and can identify cause and effect.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization's total expenses and revenues.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor's products, services and position.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Makes an immediate positive impression upon others. Has presence and commands respect. Comes across with force and quickly establishes credibility. Accurately predicts the effects of own words and actions. Makes an immediate positive impression upon others.
Preferred Experience / Education
- Bachelor Degree in Finance, Commerce or Administration with CA or equivalent designation;
- A minimum of 10-12 years of progressive, hands-on experience in financial management with increasing responsibilities for multi-faceted direction and planning, including in-depth analysis of corporate business data
- Experience with international accounting, taxes, contracts
- Financial services industry experience is highly desired
- Experience working in highly entrepreneurial, fast-paced and demanding environments; experience working in a publicly traded company
- An analytical, detail oriented, team player that adapts well to change
- Ability to work independently and multi-task under pressure
- Presents quick decision-making skills
- Deep understanding of complex financial instruments such as derivatives, swaps, and hedges
- Exhibits high standards of business and personal ethical conduct
Remuneration & Benefits
- A generous compensation package commensurate with experience will be discussed with serious and qualified candidates.