Financial Services - Director, Structured & Project Finance
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client, a major player in the international financing business, has been involved in every industry across the country. They have facilitated many $ billions in export and investment activity.
Scope of Position
Our client’s Structured and Project Finance Team, is a significant player in global project and infrastructure finance. Project Finance is a specialized field of finance, in which financing decisions are based upon project-specific cash flow and assets. Generally speaking, Project Finance transactions tend to be complex, requiring a longer and steeper learning curve, relative to other forms of finance. Project Finance is used extensively in a variety of industries, including mining/metals, energy and infrastructure.
The Director, Structured & Project Finance is responsible for the people leadership, overall strategic direction and operations of one of three sector-focused Teams of professionals within Structured & Project Finance which fall under his/her leadership. The Director is responsible for setting a strategic plan for the deployment of structured finance solutions, charting a corresponding business development plan and leadership of a Team founded on high standards, professionalism and a strong work ethic to provide solutions to facilitate the creation of trade.
- Reporting to the VP & Head of Structured and Project Finance, this Director provides leadership to a Team of product specialists; Role models key leadership principles, focused on developing a culture of performance, empowerment, achievement and team spirit across Structured & Project Finance
- Sets the strategic direction and key priorities in respect of where Structured & Project financings can have the greatest impacts, including a focused plan around target subsectors, buyers, customers and markets and how to deploy structured financings optimally
- Sets a proactive business development and corporate representation plan to support execution of strategic goals and promote the knowledge, network and professionalism of Structured & Project Finance with relevant stakeholders
- Utilizes leadership skills and business knowledge to provide effective oversight on complex, high risk financing transactions, ensuring that the structures are appropriate and commercially sound, analyses and assessments are thorough, presentations and submissions are professional and of the highest standard, and authorizations are fully complied with
- Champions initiatives which foster continuous improvements in the delivery of structured and project financings, as well as furthers other relevant priorities
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific performance measures will be discussed with and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Director, Structured & Project Finance -
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor's products, services and position.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization's total expenses and revenues.
Incorporates information about the organization's structure and protocol into decisions. Attentive to the internal politics and alert to shifting interpersonal dynamics. Establishes the necessary support networks and cross-functional relationships through rapport building. Recognizes, maintains and effectively balances the interests and needs of one's own group with those of the broader organization.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
• MBA or equivalent is required, plus it would be considered a definite asset if candidates also posses a professional designation (CFA, CA, CMA or CGA)
• Minimum of 8-10 years experience working with project finance or similar debt products in either of the infrastructure, energy, mining, metals or communications sectors
• Minimum of 3-5 years of leadership experience in a time-sensitive, transaction-based environment
• Strong credit and financial analysis skills
• Strong people management skills to be able to effectively delegate, coach and motivate
• Effective communication skills to communicate direction to team, to update various teams on actions and issues and to communicate upward in the organization
• Solid relationship management and highly effective presentation skills
• Strong influencing and negotiation skills
• Highly developed senses of motivation, diplomacy, and initiative
• Strategic thinking, planning and execution abilities
• Knowledge of general business practices, international business issues and economics
• Demonstrated success in building, motivating and managing a high performance team
Remuneration & Benefits
- Competitive base salary and variable plan tied to the qualifications of the successful candidate.