Financial Services - Vice President, Corporate Controller
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Headquartered in Toronto and with operations throughout North America our client is a highly successful financial services company that is well positioned to continue its explosive growth and success.
Led by a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial and proven leadership team our client is publicly traded and has built a values driven organization that has exceeded its performance targets.
Scope of Position
To capitalize on the Company’s market opportunity, our client seeks to bring on a senior accounting executive in the role of Vice President, Corporate Controller.
The successful individual will contribute to the growth and profitability of the business while maintaining and adhering to the operational requirements through the reporting function.
Reporting to the company’s Chief Financial Officer, the Vice President, Corporate Controller will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day financial function and reporting on those matters in a timely and accurate fashion. In addition, the candidate will have responsibility for evaluating and impacting the effectiveness of all systems and controls on a wide range of processes supporting the company's tactical and strategic initiatives and planning. This individual will be accustomed to dealing with complex reporting issues and be a strong resource for various internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage the company’s financial planning and budget processes and provides business and financial guidance and counsel for strategic and tactical activities as required
- Oversee accounting functions ensuring the accurate and timely dissemination of financial information including, but not limited to, internal and/or external monthly financial statements, management reports, in compliance with US GAAP/IFRS and Sarbanes Oxley, as appropriate for subsidiaries of a public company.
- Interpret the business’ operating results and recommends improvements as appropriate
- Lead the development, implementation, maintenance, and enhancements of internal financial controls, policies, procedures, processes, and systems, as well as internal/external audits
- Provide leadership, guidance and mentorship to a finance staff of 10 plus.
- Ensure that the financial practices and processes of the company are efficient and responsive to the needs of the business and comply with the corporation’s processes and systems
- Assist team members with using existing, and developing new, metrics to measure performance, and ensures systems and processes are in place to provide timely and accurate information to support them
- Recruits, train, supervise, and evaluate department staff
- Work in cooperation with business line managers to maintain relevant KPIs and metrics and ensure that the processes that are in place provide timely and accurate information
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the company’s operational plan and strategic business plan with the executive management team
- Report on the company's financials (i.e. P&L, Balance sheet, cash flow etc.) to the executive management team.
Experience and Skills
- Bachelor Degree in Finance, Commerce or Administration with CA or equivalent designation;
- A minimum of 15-20 years of progressive, hands-on experience in financial management with increasing responsibilities for multi-faceted direction and planning, including in- depth analysis of corporate business data
- Experience with international accounting, taxes, contracts
- Financial services industry experience is highly desired
- Experience working in highly entrepreneurial, fast-paced and demanding environments; experience working in a publicly traded company
- An analytical, detail oriented, team player that adapts well to change
- Ability to work independently and multi-task under pressure
- Presents quick decision-making skills
- Deep understanding of complex financial instruments such as securitizations/syndications, derivatives, swaps, and hedges
- Exhibits high standards of business and personal ethical conduct