Financial Services / Asset Management - VP, Client Service and Portfolio Manager
About the Company
Established in 1988, our client is a leading Wealth Management and Investment Counseling firm providing customized portfolio management services to High Net Worth families, foundations and endowments across Canada.
Based in Toronto and with approximately $2B of assets under management, our client is a well-established and independently managed with an enviable reputation for unwavering integrity and aligning its success with that of its clients. The firm’s core values include: Love of Learning; Value Respect; Clarity in Communications; Taking Ownership; A Positive Attitude; Collaborative team spirit.
With a growing client base and an eye toward the future, our client now looks to bring on board an additional Vice-President, Client Service and Portfolio Manager.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the firm’s Head of Client Service and Business Development, the Vice-President, Client Service and Portfolio Manager will be responsible for creating and implementing business development strategies that attract new clients while enhancing the firm’s visibility and brand. The individual will also be responsible for servicing existing clients and managing their portfolios on an ongoing basis.
Finally, the successful individual will contribute to the growth and profitability of the overall business by aiding with overall business development strategies and related activities and building and maintaining client relationships.
Business Development Strategy and Activities
- Scans the market for potential business opportunities and introduces the firm’s capabilities to potential prospects.
- Works with the marketing committee/partners in developing and implementing effective strategies to achieve business growth targets and client diversification plans (ie. cultural, generational, gender)
- Analyzes market trends and client needs to identify new business development opportunities. Keeps in regular contact with past and existing clients to explore new opportunities.
- Gathers and uses market intelligence to maintain an understanding of the market and of the firm’s competition to inform benchmarking, contingency planning and competitive strategies.
- Develops and oversees the maintenance of a database of high quality information on the firm’s clients and competitors that’s used as a reference for creating business development opportunities.
- Analyzes and evaluates the progress towards revenue goals and make recommendations for required adjustments. Provides ongoing detailed and accurate sales forecasting and tracking.
- Works closely with the marketing committee in establishing a marketing/branding program. Ensures profitability and brand positioning is maintained.
- Develops and/or works collaboratively with the Marketing Manager in the design of presentations to new and existing clients promoting the strengths and capabilities of the firm at client meetings and events.
Building & Maintaining Client Relationships
- Manages ongoing client relations and builds trust by providing them with assistance and advice on their holdings. Provides hi touch services – demonstrating how the clients’ money is carefully managed.
- Meets with clients to establish goals and objectives and to respond to any questions/concerns regarding their portfolio. Customizes all presentation materials to the specific needs of the client and directs them to other resources within the firm i.e. financial/tax/estate planning, as needed.
- Stays up to date on investments and asset performance by attending regular meetings with portfolio managers, resulting in accurate and timely information to clients. Invites portfolio managers to meetings with clients, when appropriate.
- Writes topical blogs for company website, articles, and white papers/client interest pieces for broad dissemination and/or targeted marketing campaigns.
- Plans, designs, organizes and leads a variety of special events that engages existing clients, targets new investors and expands clients’ reach (i.e. Back to Basics Investments Series, Youth Series, Women’s Conference), in collaboration with the marketing committee.
- Identifies, engages and collaborates with key stakeholder communities and centers of influence to promote the company brand and value proposition.
The competencies listed below define the role of Vice President, Client Service and Portfolio Manager.
Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas. Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals.
Planning & Objective Setting
Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Systematic in approach to work.
Anticipates customers'/clients' needs. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service.
Aims to improve upon past performance. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them. Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met.
Industry & Market Awareness
Aware of competitor's products, services and position. Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Undergraduate business degree ideally combined with an MBA and designations such as CFA, CIM, etc.
- A minimum of 10 years of asset management, wealth management banking or investment industry experience.
- Thorough knowledge of the asset/wealth management industry and related regulatory and compliance requirements
- Understanding of investment concepts, analytics and investment administration
- Client centric focus; Builds trust, credibility and respect with all clients and prospects especially those with minimal investing acumen or knowledge.
- Ability to develop and manage pipeline of opportunities and convert prospects into clients
- Ability to qualify leads and focus on opportunities that have the most strategic and financial long-term impact
- Ability to make compelling presentations to a variety of audiences, centers of influence, using visual aids, social media, and other media.
- Ability to be flexible, multi-task and prioritize effectively in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to handle a variety of constituencies, juggle multiple tasks simultaneously and thrive in a complex environment with multiple priorities
- Exceptional interpersonal skills—ability to interact successfully with colleagues and clients using a positive, collaborative approach
- Excellent written, and verbal communications skills
- Persuasive, credible, and is a polished communicator with excellent influencing and networking skills
- Operates comfortably under pressure, stays focused on accomplishing results during periods of high stress
- A self-starter Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Shares the company’s core values
Remuneration & Benefits
- A compensation package commensurate with experience will available.
If interested, please contact
StoneWood Group, Toronto
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 233
StoneWood Group, Toronto
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 555