Financial Services - Senior Manager Capital Markets Technology - Toronto
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is one of Canada’s Largest Pension funds with assets in excess of $100 billion.
Reporting to the Director Trading and Risk Technology, the Senior Manager is accountable for the delivery and support of the trading systems used by the Global Capital Markets investment group to execute trades for all investment groups within the fund. The individual must be able to translate the Global Capital Markets business strategy into requirements to build out new trading capabilities to support the growing needs of the fund and work in close partnership with the business.
More specifically the Senior Manager will be responsible for:
- Defining and implementing the technology strategy to support the Global Capital Markets trading group. The strategy will involve a combination of building new capabilities, selecting and integrating with vendor solutions where appropriate while adhering to the overall technology architecture standards.
- Managing a team focused on enabling trading by Global Capital Markets, the Capital Markets trading desk department.
- Building, retaining, coaching and driving a team of high-integrity, high-performance and partnership-focused professionals aligned to the business needs of the organization.
- Driving the evolution of the trading systems. Managing the development, configuration and support of vendor solutions (e.g. Order Management Systems) and in house developed trading systems including the assignment of appropriate resources to successfully deliver functionality to the clients.
- Supporting the expansion of the trading capabilities to markets worldwide while maintaining systems that are flexible and sustainable over the long term.
- Working closely with the Global Capital Markets research team to integrate trade order management systems with trade execution.
- Day to day planning and coordination of activities related to supporting the operations of the trading desk.
- Independently developing and executing project specifications, plans, technical implementation, schedules, and documentation. Creating scalable, extensible and sustainable solutions to meet the strategic objectives.
- Analyzing complex trading and settlements requirements for cash products to propose solutions for handling these products efficiently while adopting and advancing key strategies including Data Management
- Assisting in the development of, identifying inefficiencies in, and recommending changes to Information Services practices, procedures, and approaches to service Public Market Investments (PMI) trading
- Working extensively with both technology staff and business partners to provide support and maintenance of our client’s rapidly growing environment. Conveying and implementing a forward thinking and partnership focused perspective
- Managing the relationship with strategic vendors including Bloomberg.
- Providing technical and functional expertise to push forward initiatives.
- Building strong relationships with all levels of the investment and operations teams to establish priorities and present status on a regular basis.
- Partnering with the investment departments to design and implement the business processes required to support new trading activities from trade booking through to settlement.
- Developing strong relationships with multiple partners across the firm, and aligns the objectives of the Information Services and Public Market Investments.
Creates strong partnerships with internal client groups. Anticipates clients' needs. Monitors and acts on measures of client satisfaction. Understands the clients’ needs and how those fit within the broader technology framework and can craft solutions in an appropriate time. Works closely with clients applying business oriented technology expertise.
Can alter own perspective and behaviour in order to adjust to changing demands and plans. Open to change and readily adopts new methods in the face of shifting priorities and ambiguity. Quickly adapts to new situations and approaches.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others. Mobilizes people into action. Negotiates skillfully and convinces others to own point of view.
Aims to improve upon past performance. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them. Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met.
Analytical / Problem Solving
Develops several explanations or alternatives. Divides problems into their individual elements. Draws parallels across situations and contexts. Separates the core of a problem from its symptoms and can identify cause and effect.
Preferred Experience and Education
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in Information Technology/Computer Science.
- 10+ years of hands-on practical experience, with a minimum of three years in a management role.
- Experience of working in an Agile environment.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience supporting and enhancing trading systems and transaction processing.
- CFA or an MBA would be considered an asset.
- Demonstrated technical skills. Specifically, hands-on Java, SQL and UNIX knowledge.
- Experience of Bloomberg Position Order Management System, Quantify, PC-Bond and similar trading applications
- Experience working in a variety of Capital Markets functions would be an advantage