Entertainment - Chief Financial Officer
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the company
Our client owns and operates a multi-billion dollar, diverse portfolio of assets located throughout North America. These assets include racing and gaming operations as well as large, complex real estate holdings in both the pre-development and development stages, as well as agriculture.
Our client now seeks a Chief Financial Officer based in Toronto, Ontario.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the Chairman, the Chief Financial Officer will oversee all financial activities and related business aspects of the portfolio ensuring an acceptable return while preserving the portfolio’s capital base. Working closely with other members of the senior management team, the CFO will contribute to the development and execution of a strategy that seeks to judiciously deploy capital on new opportunities to grow the portfolio.
- Oversee and manage all financial reporting, budgeting, forecasting and reconciliations along with preparation of financial statements and cash flow projections, ensuring that the interests of all stakeholders, assets and operating businesses are served.
- Oversee and support operational day to day financial management of all elements of the operation, including, oversight of a team of highly dedicated financial resources at both the holding company, and at the portfolio company levels
- Support the development of the overall capital structure, including support to the portfolio companies in their dealing with external financial partners, both debt and equity, particularly in real estate partnerships and JVs
- Drive the overall tax efficient structure of the holding company
- Ensure roles are properly defined and organized and that team members are properly deployed to address them.
- Establish metrics against which individual assets and the entire portfolio performance can be measured.
- Develop and implement financial controls and systems to ensure timely and accurate reporting.
- Monitor, measure and report on the portfolio performance in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Bring a pragmatic and defensible approach to business, understanding when to use in-house capabilities versus outside experts and resources.
- Build personal credibility within the organization through strong management and interpersonal skills, sound judgment, and genuine care and concern.
- Effectively manage the company’s cash and securities position and drive any supplementary initiatives deemed necessary.
- Serve as a champion for best practices, enterprise excellence and the maximizing of value creation.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Chief Financial Officer
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization's total expenses and revenues.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Team Skills & People Management
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables
- Must have the highest level of personal and professional integrity as well as a clear sense of purpose.
- At least 10-15 years of experience as a CFO working with private businesses and/or entrepreneurs, and an understanding of real estate is an asset. The successful candidate will have a CA designation and will bring a broad range of financial skills and acumen to bear which will include portfolio and asset management.
- Experience working with ultra-high net worth families in asset management or a family office setting is highly desired.
- Must be discreet and reliable, able to handle and protect highly confidential financial and personal information, internally and externally.
- Must be a strong manager, overseeing internal and external resources, demanding and achieving excellence.
- Must possess a strong work ethic and high level of professionalism.
- An ability to earn the trust and respect of varying familial interests to pursue common goals and outcomes.
- The ability to lead, to communicate clearly and articulately, to monitor and express strategy to both inside and outside constituencies.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive base salary, variable compensation along with other compensation.
If interested, please contact:
StoneWood Group, Toronto
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 233