Electronics - Chief Financial Officer - Niagara Region
About the Company
The global market for consumer electronics in 2018 was estimated at Cdn $138B representing a 6% increase over the previous year. All regions made significant gains with further growth of approximately 5% predicted for 2019. The demand for consumer electronics is influenced by many major global trends including the increasing demand for premium devices. Almost half of consumers prefer to own fewer, yet higher quality technological devices.
Our client produces and markets such high-quality devices. From baby monitors to home security devices and systems, our client develops ground-breaking products that empower everyone. Their mission is to create safety solutions that bring peace of mind with unparalleled industry solutions built on innovative patented technologies, deep technical knowledge and feature-rich applications. The firm is widely recognized for the robustness of its technologies, ease of use, and proof is from our customer reviews.
Our client is well-established, privately owned and located in the Niagara region and Toronto.
Scope of Position
Our client is presently embarking on ambitious growth plans that will test its ability to adapt and scale. Ensuring that appropriate company systems, processes and operations are in place and aligned with those growth plans will be the responsibility of the Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
Reporting to the CEO, the CFO will be responsible for defining, integrating and maintaining all company operations, allowing the CEO to focus on strategic, customer and new product development initiatives. Responsible for day-to-day operations, the CFO will work proactively to provide strong leadership while establishing policies and practices that meet the organization’s overall requirements. Upon approval from the CEO, the CFO will then implement the plans obtaining measurable results.
The CFO will have a strong financial background along with operations, ERP, CRM, and, e-commerce experience. This role will lead the Finance and Accounting, Operations, and Information Systems teams.
This is an outstanding opportunity that features:
- Strong industry and company growth
- Patent-pending highly innovative technology
- A proven organization and team
- Highly entrepreneurial culture
- An opportunity to make a real difference
- Plan and direct the operational priorities, goals, policies, practices and initiatives in accordance with the goals and strategic direction set by the CEO
- Recommend and participate in the development of policies that address corporate growth and strengthens organizational processes
- Lead and execute a strategy that drives excellence across the operational organizations, leveraging best-of-class processes, technology and team members to meet and exceed customer expectations as measured by output and efficiency
- Participate as an open, engaged and committed member of the Management Team in the formulation and execution of the corporate vision, strategy and business objectives
- Understand and apply efficient and cost-effective operations knowledge and practices to sustain a profitable day to day business operations that enable service delivery which meets or exceeds customer expectation.
- Ensure operational milestones are met on time, with high quality and that they meet the objectives established
- Create and sustain a viable organizational structure to make optimum use of financial and operational resources, technology and systems
- Build and facilitate the development of strong relationships and synergies with all areas of the company and with the company’s technical partners and customers in order to achieve the corporate goals, objectives and revenue targets
- Foster a culture of highly productive team spirit and innovation into the short- and longer-term operations of the organization
- Inspire and lead a talented group of customer-centric focused team members, helping them manage their careers and grow as professionals
- Instill a culture of empowerment
- Monitor, measure and report on the organizational results
- Instill an intensely customer service mindset within the organization
- Instill or develop a passion for consumer electronics
- Spearhead the commercial agreements and sustainable relationships with potential customers
- Recruit highly engaged, high achieving individuals to join the team as the company continues to grow
- Remain abreast of competitive offerings, pricing and distribution strategies. Make recommendations to ensure positioning of existing technologies is optimized.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Strategic metrics: Ensuring that product offerings and roadmap align with market requirements
- Financial metrics: Attainment of costs and profitability targets through a strong focus on management, costs, processes and revenue growth.
- Operational metrics: Ensure that best in class operational practices are in place
- Team Metrics: Building overall effectiveness of the team along with morale
he following competencies listed below define the role of Chief Financial Officer (CFO):
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Developing & Coaching Others
Accurately assesses strengths and development needs of employees. Challenges others to improve their abilities and actively supports their development. Continually provides timely and constructive feedback, coaching and challenging learning opportunities. Adjusts coaching style based on each employee's ability and motivation level.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization's total expenses and revenues.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers'/clients' needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- CPA designation (CPA, CA preferred)
- Bachelor’s degree as well as an advanced degree (MBA) from a top school in the country of completion
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in relevant finance leadership or controller roles or CFO and progressively responsible experience with at least 3 years at the executive management level
- Minimum of 5 years Operations Management experience within the B2C e-commerce industry
- Certified Customs Specialist Designation considered an asset
- Knowledge and experience with Six sigma, Lean and other continuous improvement projects an asset
- Must have experience with outbound shipping to customers and drop-shipping for retailers
- Must have 3PL and consumer goods returns management experience
- Must have international inventory procurement experience
- Extensive knowledge of Health and Safety policies and procedures
- Experience in consumer products (preferred)
- Proven operational management experience contributing to the success of a consumer related company with products sold direct to consumers via e-commerce (preferred)
- Demonstrable evidence of a track record distinguished by exceeding expectations
- Proven entrepreneurial/smaller company experience, with appropriate financial and business acumen acquired from scaling an organization with similar characteristics to achieve the next level of growth where you have been instrumental in the progress with.
- Discipline and the knowledge to focus, prioritize and set in place procedures and processes;
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt to a very fluid, rapidly changing environment.
- High degree of honesty, respect, integrity and loyalty;
- The ability to see beyond obstacles or setbacks and be energized by the challenges of achieving a goal;
- Strong team building skills with the ability to effectively communicate and motivate
- Comfort in a relatively ambiguous environment;
- A professional and mature disposition with the confidence and stature to challenge issues and positions in a respectful, tactful and non-confrontational manner;
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive compensation package structured to the needs of the successful candidate.
If interested, please contact:Bob Hebert StoneWood Group, Toronto Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 777 Mob: 416-889-9494 email@example.com