ECommerce – Chief Operating Officer
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
eCommerce is the only trillion-dollar industry experiencing double-digit year-over-year growth. In 2012, global eCommerce sales topped a trillion dollars for the first time ($1.1 trillion). Online retail sales are tracking to 10% CAGR and more than 50% of total retail sales in 2018 were digitally influenced. If estimates are accurate by 2021 eCommerce will reach $4.8 trillion, more than double 2018’s $2.3 trillion in just 3 years. These figures alone are compelling, however coupled with the estimate that less than 15% of retail sales are currently done online leads us to believe that the eCommerce industry and its convergence with physical retail technology will be a dynamic, lucrative market for many years to come.
Our client architects, builds, hosts and manages a wide range of commerce experiences for well-known domestic and global brands. Customers turn to them as their trusted partner when they want to grow revenue, increase online and in-store traffic, improve customer experience, grow a loyal customer base, achieve operational efficiencies, and higher profits. The current team is made up of a diverse blend of engineers, solution architects, programmers, UI developers, project managers and analysts who work together to create and manage next-generation commerce excellence. The company employees hold themselves to the very highest standards and our staff take great pride in our accomplishments.
The company is a privately-held and venture backed company with an aggressive growth objective including strategic acquisitions. 2018 was a transformational year for it with the combination of three existing businesses in this sector. Looking to continue to build a world-class operation our client is adding a Chief Operating Officer (COO) to its senior management team.
Scope of Position
The COO is an extraordinary business leader in technology services who will drive solid operations and world-class service delivery to our clients, reporting to the CEO of the company. This individual will be passionate about building high performance teams to drive digital transformation with our customers and employees and deliver exceptional standards-based services to clients with complex digital commerce and managed infrastructure environments. She/ He will be a progressive thinker with a deep understanding of the technology transformation occurring in the commerce (physical and digital) market place. The ideal candidate will have experience leading high growth companies through transformational change including acquisition integration. This person has the capability of scaling operations from $50+ million in revenue to $250+ million in revenue over the next 5 years.
- Lead/inspire/motivate and develop the senior management team by effectively establishing priorities, goals and resourcing plans that lead to a unified culture and aligned business units.
- Effectively leverage OKRs (Objectives and Key Results) or MBOs (Management By Objectives) to drive clarity and alignment through the organization.
- Develop the company’s ability to incubate and accelerate new product/category initiatives.
- Develop a standard of high performing, well-coordinated teams across all business units capable of supporting accelerated growth and rapid adoption of new technologies, services and partners.
- Drive the financial decision-making and risk management.
- Own, refine and monitor performance measures that support the strategy and operating plans.
- Prepare and lead the organization through periods of acquisition integration.
- Build a scalable, operationally excellent technology/service delivery organization.
- Help to prepare the company with a view to an IPO by 2022.
- Prepare and implement strategic and operational plans and actions to ensure that facilities and systems, procedures, staffing, support services and capacity are available when needed and at required levels.
- Lead all planning and management meetings with a view towards coordinated effort priorities.
- Define, build and manage a scalable and flexible organization structure.
- Become a leader in the shaping of overall corporate strategy.
- Create a culture of metrics driven accountability balanced effectively with client centricity
- Drive the company’s annual strategy, budget and planning exercises.
- Enhance the organization’s ability to innovate in designing product offerings, positioning and operating models.
- Work closely with the CEO and executive team in evaluating and financing potential acquisitions and ultimately own an effective post acquisition integration to retain maximum value through the integration period.
- Oversee change initiatives with comprehensive planning and smooth execution.
- Improve client loyalty and client experience by developing meaningful relationships with top clients
The following competencies listed below define the role of the Chief Operating Officer
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization's total expenses and revenues. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment.
Can alter own perspective and behaviour in order to adjust to changing demands and plans. Open to change and readily adopts new methods in the face of shifting priorities and ambiguity. Quickly adapts to new situations and approaches.
Makes an immediate positive impression upon others. Has presence and commands respect. Comes across with force and quickly establishes credibility. Accurately predicts the effects of own words and actions. Makes an immediate positive impression upon others.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- The successful candidate could bring have a broad-based background and could have evolved to a top leadership role from three potential avenues:
- A recognized financial pedigree coupled with some demonstrable operational success; or
- A highly technical track record of achievement with progression to leadership roles and operational success; or
- A strong operational background that the candidate has leveraged into a broader track record of leadership across an organization potentially as a general manager or second in command.
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent is highly preferred.
- 15 – 20 + years of broad-based and progressive experience in leadership role in a fast-paced growing technology company.
- Experience in an environment growing from $50MM in revenue to $250MM in revenue.
- Highly adaptable and able to deal with ambiguity.
- Experience in due diligence related to acquisitions and post-acquisition integration.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive compensation package tailored to the successful candidate.
If interested, please contactPaul Hudson - Partner StoneWood Group, Toronto email@example.com