THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is one of Canada’s premier financial institutions. The company plays a unique role in delivering a wide range of timely and relevant financial and management services, with a particular focus on the emerging and exporting sectors of the economy. The firms services are available across Canada through a network of regional offices and branches.
The firm’s Venture Capital Division is one of Canada's largest sources of venture funding with investments and resources across the country and in a wide array of technology and industrial segments. The firm has invested in and nurtured some of Canada's best known and most successful organizations.
Scope of Position
Our client is seeking to add a Director of Venture Capital who will be focused on the Cleantech sector. The Director will proactively identify qualifying organizations, conduct extensive pre-investment due diligence and research, execute the investment transactions and then support the firms in reaching their potential.
The Director will work directly with other team members across the country and will get involved in the full investment process from sourcing through to eventual exit.
• Identify investment opportunities in emerging, high growth market segments.
• Conduct due diligence including technical assessment, market research, business model analysis, customer and management reference checks.
• Undertake financial modeling for the purposes of establishing valuations.
• Complete transaction processes, deal structuring, and deal documentation.
• Work with, advise and support portfolio companies in helping them realize their potential.
• Provide advice and support on matters of subsequent investment rounds through to exit strategies and execution.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
• Performance metrics will be outlined to the successful candidate as part of the selection process.
The following competencies listed below define the role of – Director, Venture Capital
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization's total expenses and revenues.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Strives for excellence in products, processes and/or services through continued evaluation, enhancement and redefinition of quality standards.
Draws parallels across situations and contexts. Divides problems into their individual elements. Develops several explanations or alternatives. Separates the core of a problem from its symptoms and can identify cause and effect.
Quickly adapts to new situations and approaches. Open to change and readily adopts new methods in the face of shifting priorities and ambiguity. Can alter own perspective and behaviour in order to adjust to changing demands and plans.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor's products, services and position.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
• Science or engineering undergraduate degree.
• Small company experience, especially as applied to the challenges of managing and scaling such businesses.
• Senior management (VP,CEO etc) experience with a Cleantech background.
• Strong analytical and quantitative skills in order to conduct original research and assess technology market opportunities.
• Three to five years experience in venture capital, private equity, M&A, equity research, or corporate development or related activities.
Remuneration & Benefits
• Compensation is commensurate with experience and will include a base salary, an annual performance-based bonus and carry in the fund.