THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
Our client is a major financial services organization with global offices and a thirteen year track record of growth. Highly dynamic with an excellent leadership team, this organization has built a values driven culture that has exceeded its performance targets.
Facilitating this operating success has been a highly evolved technology environment. As the organization continues to grow and the technology team continues to develop, there is a requirement for a Director of Technology Services to join the IS team.
Reporting to the Vice President and Head of Information Services, the Director, Technology Services is accountable for delivering infrastructure management, application support, computer operations, and end user support services. The Director will advance the technology architecture and operating model to deliver these services, with a focus on ensuring measurably high levels of service, instilling a culture of continuous improvement, and establishing the Technology Services team as a valued partner.
The technology architecture is an important component of the enterprise architecture, and encompasses the technology standards and common infrastructure services for shared storage, shared application servers, database management, integration platforms and information security.
Through a team of five managers and 35 staff the Director will be responsible for:
• Building and retaining a team of high-integrity, high-performance and partnership-focused technology professionals focused on the business;
• Managing the talent within the team to maximize employee engagement and high performance;
• Interacting with senior stakeholders across the organization to solicit feedback on business computing and operational requirements and to communicate IS strategies, approaches and key messages vis-à-vis our understanding of the evolving operational activities;
• Developing forward-looking plans and strategies to address the changing computing and operational needs of the organization particularly as it applies to the overall technology architecture;
• Proactively finding opportunities to streamline processes to produce better quality solutions, improve communications and clarify internal accountabilities;
• Managing key vendor relationships for outsourced services with partners;
• Infrastructure Management for physical and virtual servers , enterprise databases, integration technologies , enterprise scheduling, shared storage , security devices (firewalls, IPS) and the network environment;
• End-to-end support of server and desktop applications and mobile (e.g. Blackberry), telephony, audio-visual, and desktop hardware
• Application and hardware change management, and the on-boarding of new solutions to be supported on a 7x24 basis;
• Establishing consistent architectures, tools and processes for application monitoring and exception management. This includes trend analysis to identify system issues and/or issues which can be prevented based on environmental signals, alerts, etc.;
• Where issues or events occur, overseeing transparent and business-focused communications with partners in IS and the operations teams
• Delivering end client services, including responsive telephone, remote and desk side support services for the international offices, and for users who use remote access (VPN) solutions due to travel or offsite work;
• Continuing the implementation of an ITIL framework in order to provide a standards-based process framework for the Technology Services team.
Candidate Competency Profile
Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas. Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals.
Coaching and Developing Others
Accurately assesses strengths and development needs of employees. Adjusts coaching style based on each employee's ability and motivation level. Challenges others to improve their abilities and actively supports their development. Continually provides timely and constructive feedback, coaching and challenging learning opportunities.
Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members. Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support.
Aims to improve upon past performance. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them. Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met.
Comprehends communications from others and responds appropriately. Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner. Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience.
Customer Client Orientation
Anticipates customers'/clients' needs. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service.
Preferred Experience and Education
• Experience in fast-paced financial services environment is preferred.
• Ideal candidates will have at least 10-15 years of experience with at least four to five years managing a diverse portfolio through a team of managers.
• Bachelor’s or Masters degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Computer Engineering, or related field.
• Practical technology architecture experience including shared services environments, storage, application hosting, and/or database management.
• Practical ITIL experience.
• Technology professionals with well-rounded technology backgrounds are preferred to individuals who have deep expertise in only one area.
Who Will be Interested in This Role
This role will be of great interest to:
• Vice Presidents or Directors of IT or others in mid-size and large multinational financial services organizations or financial outsourcing organizations.
• Technology professionals who have a depth of expertise in managing technology infrastructure in complex organizations.
• Individuals looking to join a dynamic growing organization.
• Professionals with a diversity of experience in different organizations who are looking to apply that expertise to a growing technology environment.