Consumer Goods - Director Supply Chain
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a technologically advanced, innovative manufacturer of premium quality natural foods and beverage products. Using innovative aseptic packaging technology the firm boasts unparalleled quality, fast production times, extended product shelf life and significant cost-saving efficiencies. In addition, the minimal waste associated with its process appeals to environmentally conscious retailers and consumers alike. From concept through product formulation, analytical and sensory testing, nutritional evaluation, packaging and logistics, the company is a single source for cost-efficient, high-quality products. Our client’s customer list includes leading retailers and branded manufacturers across North America and globally.
To meet the growing demand for its products our client recently announced the acquisition of a US-based food manufacturer establishing in the process manufacturing and warehousing operations in Cambridge, Maryland. With plans to significantly expand its production capacity and overall US-based footprint the firm plans to hire as many as 100 full-time employees in the new facility over the next few years.
Scope of Position
As our client acquires the capacity required to meet growing customer demand, its attention turns to ensuring that flawless execution is uncompromised as an organizational cornerstone for success. This will be the principal focus and mandate of the newly created Director Supply Chain.
Reporting to the COO, the Director of Supply Chain will lead the development and implementation of supply chain strategies to support the firm's growth goals. The individual will be responsible for supply chain processes, infrastructure and enablers and will drive to develop capabilities and initiatives that will enhance supply chain performance over a multi-year horizon.
The Director of Supply Chain will lead senior management routines to monitor and enhance core supply chain performance, including delivering against product and service level agreements and cost objectives. The individual will hold accountability for financial, service, and quality metrics in the supply chain.
- Develop and measure KPIs for the areas of responsibility.
- Ensure effective forecasting, master planning, scheduling and deployment of finished goods to the marketplace at targeted service, inventory and customer satisfaction levels.
- Review existing supply chain processes and performance and make recommendations for improvement as required.
- On approval of recommendations implement said plans across all facets of supply chain including master planning, logistics, order management and IT process optimization.
- Ensure that supply chain framework is lean, cost effective, resilient and scalable for furture growth.
- Provide routine reports, variance analysis, special analysis and recommend corrective action as required.
- Track forecast accuracy and consumption versus forecast for all markets
- Monitor the KPIs and metrics associated with final shipments to customers to prevent/ reduce out of stock situations, watching for trends impacting forecasting needs or marketing changes impacting forecasting requirements.
- Monitor reporting feeds into for optimization of data used in various analysis functions
- Work closely with IT to optimize use of data for Inventory Planning and Purchasing
- Drive logistics and warehousing strategy and execution
- Ensures effective long-term capacity and supply network plan is in place in support of business’s demand plans. Conduct capacity and associated studies to ensure demand plan can be met at lowest net-landed cost.
- Support the delivery of transportation and warehousing operation plan. Ensure cost-effective daily replenishment and resource/monitor cost reduction initiatives in support of improved logistics costs.
- Develop planning input for Marketing, Sales and Operations planning meetings
- Monitoring data management to keep accurate product, contract, pricing and invoicing information.
- Providing accurate routing information to ensure that delivery times and locations are coordinated.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific performance measures will be discussed and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of - Director Supply Chain at our client.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Recognizes when change is necessary. Challenges the status quo and champions new initiatives. Acts as a catalyst to change and stimulates others to change. Develops an effective action plan to implement change and monitors results.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Generates new ideas. Challenges existing assumptions. Goes beyond the status quo. Recognizes the need for new or modified approaches. Brings various perspectives and approaches together, combining them in a creative fashion to implement effective improvements.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization's total expenses and revenues.
Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner. Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience. Comprehends communications from others and responds appropriately.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- 10-15 years experience in supply chain management in a manufacturing environment, supervisory experience a must.
- In-depth experience in material planning and procurement; inventory control and management; production planning; setting production requirements and managing execution; material movement; and service level negotiations.
- Results-driven with a strong performance, cost management and bottom-line orientation.
- Demonstrated track record of meeting or exceeding targets goals.
- Hands-on experience in young, fast-growing organizations.
- Experience with ERP systems and processes (forecasting, NPI, planning, supply chain metrics).
- A degree or advanced training in Supply Chain Management or related field desirable.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive compensation package for the successful candidate